OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What should I be looking for as a beginner?

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 30, 2015, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I have built a decent collection of mouth calls, about 5 or so. I find the two reed batwing cut to be the easiest for me to run. With the Legacy Lone Hen, I can do almost every call fairly decent. With the Dead End Game Call Batwing 2, I can purr and cluck pretty good. I can do a pretty good yelp on all of my other calls of different cuts.

Should I be looking to use calls with just the batwing cut, or should I be able to make the same sounds with different cuts? I know that I can do pretty good with the 2 reed calls, but am wondering if it would benefit me to try 3 or 4 reed calls? What would I gain, or lose, from trying a different cut/reed number other than a 2 reed batwing cut?

Basically, as a beginner, should I be trying different cuts and reed numbers, or should I stick to strictly batwing and/or 2 reed calls that i am pretty good with?

randywallace

Each mouth caller I use takes a little more or less air pressure and fits in my mouth a little different because of their shape, thickness, etc. 

I would rather have 5 identical callers that I can use without thinking than 5 different ones that require me to think about the tension I place on the reed and amount of air to push.  Even though they are all mouth callers, they are like different musical instruments.  It is easier to become proficient with one than 5.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: randywallace on March 30, 2015, 08:14:50 PM
Each mouth caller I use takes a little more or less air pressure and fits in my mouth a little different because of their shape, thickness, etc. 

I would rather have 5 identical callers that I can use without thinking than 5 different ones that require me to think about the tension I place on the reed and amount of air to push.  Even though they are all mouth callers, they are like different musical instruments.  It is easier to become proficient with one than 5.

So, you look for a call that you can make all of the different calls with, and stick to that one?

randywallace

For hunting yes.  But, during the off season I may run through dozen or more to see if there is something new out there that suits me better.   

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: randywallace on March 30, 2015, 08:39:09 PM
For hunting yes.  But, during the off season I may run through dozen or more to see if there is something new out there that suits me better.   

Currently, the two calls that I can do what I feel like is adequate enough in the woods are both 2 reed batwing cuts. If I could get the same purrs out of the Lone Hen that I can get from the DEGC Batwing 2, I would stick with just the Lone Hen and order about ten of them. I am just trying to figure out if it is worth trying different cuts/reed numbers, or just stick with what works for now.