turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Snakes in Oklahoma?

Started by talltines, March 24, 2011, 05:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talltines

Heading to Oklahoma for the first time on a Turkey hunt and just wondered if I should consider wearing snake boots?  I will be in the north central part of the state.  Is the snakes that bad there??  Any inforamtion is appreciated.

bird

Heck if they got snakes in South Dakota they sure do has them in Oklahoma. 

Ahhhhh just watch where's ya step!

hookedspur

SNAKES everywhere,  Best watch where you set.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

gobblerguide

We do have rattlers in ok,i live and guide for birds in nc ok and if you get around rocky ground its a good bet there are snakes around.I typically only run into one every 3 or 4 yrs but better to be safe than sorry,it is easy to not see one and step right on him like i did crossing a barbed wire fence a few yrs back. Some areas are definetely worse than others for snakes.
Worse than the bird flu on gobblers!

shootumindaface

I went there for the first time last year I was scared to death LOL It took me an hour to cover the ground it takes back home in 15 minutes.. Going back aint skeered this year..

Gabby

We have plenty to go around for everyone. Several species of Rattlesnakes, Cotton Mouth and Copperheads. Copperheads will go out of their way to bite you if given the chance. Danner snake boots is what I like to wear. There are several Rattlesnake Hunts or Roundups across the State during April. Watch were you sit and step and you should be fine.
http://www.rattlesnakehunt.com/
Gabby

Galvin900

While turkey hunting last year I almost stepped on a timber rattler at Cherokee wildlife management area. This is about 90 min SE of Tulsa OK. His colors had him camoflodged so good I tried to show him to my friend and he couldnt see him till he moved.