Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

weekend#3

Started by surehuntsalot, March 29, 2015, 09:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

well Saturday morning no gobbling at daybreak. I went a sat up in the area that I worked the bird from last weekend in, I called every 20 minutes or so, after about an hour to an hour and a half I heard very deep clucking coming my way, the bird/birds? was on the other side of a ridge from me and never would come over it.

this morning, I hooted and almost went into shock when one gobbled back at me, he gobbled 11 times in the tree. I moved in on him and got set up, made my first series of calls and he jumped all over them, I called again, he hammered back, I shut up.
He closed the distance pretty fast, I foolishly thought for a brief minute this was going to be a slam dunk textbook hunt, WRONG
He gobbled 8 times on the ground each time closer and closer, I had this bird dead. He was on top of a small hill and I was on one of the ridges right below him, he came down to my ridge and walked back and forth just over a little knoll from me for close to an hour.
I couldn't move, the leaves were to dry, I guess he finally got tired and walked off, I sat there for another hour and never heard anything else.  No wonder I have grey hair and it's falling out.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase