Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

hevi mag blend....WOW!!!

Started by Bigeclipse, March 29, 2015, 02:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigeclipse

I have been planning on using longbeard XR 5s. These patterned decent for me with 135 pellets in 10 inch circle at 40 yards. Picked up a box of the hevi mag blends for shits  and giggles. All I have to say is wow....173 pellets at 40 yards. I thought maybe weather changed shot pattern so I tried the Longbeards  again and got 140. On top of that...the hevis  have more shot outside the circle as well which makes me think there is simply many more pellets in the mag blend than in the longbeards  which makes sense since the longbeards are 1 and 3/4 ounces of #5 while the mag blend is 2 ounces of 5,6, and 7. I know they are sooo expensive but it looks like patterns at shorter and long distances will be better with the hevis do to simply many more pellets in each load. I'll do more testing this week to confirm.

Big Treble

What did it look like at 20?

I might try some this summer to see what they do in my set up. 

Bigeclipse

Quote from: Big Treble on March 30, 2015, 07:50:40 AM
What did it look like at 20?

I might try some this summer to see what they do in my set up.

I did not pattern at 20 yet. I will sometime this week. Here is my theory though...20 yards will be fine and not too tight. The pattern at 40 was actually pretty well expanded BUT there is simply a ton more pellets in the mag blends due to it using 5,6, and 7 shot sizes. For example...if you take a load of #5s and compare to #6s...the 6s will tend to have say 50 pellets or more in the shell. Now when you jump from 5 to shot size 7...you could have as much as 150 more pellets in the #7 shot size shells. So I'm thinking that the mag blend simply has many more pellets than the XR Longbeards I was using. Don't get me wrong...the long beards were great but these are definitely better in my gun. I also recommend the choke made by the hevi 13 company. It out patterned my other chokes by far, at least at 40 yards. Again, the thing here is that outside the 10 inch circle there were many many pellet holes which indicates the shot was spreading out well before 40 yards. I will definitely confirm