OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

conditioning stones

Started by magnumgray, March 28, 2015, 05:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnumgray

My favorite was the K&H  139  stone .... they are no longer manufactured. What's a good alternative?  I use them on an aluminum slot/trough call ..... they give them a distinct sound that is much better than with sandpaper or grit cloth.

Big Guy

I like the Primos Slick Stick, seems to work real well.

callmakerman

mgm1955

magnumgray

mspaci

Mad calls used to have a stone & I carried it for years, lost it & haven't seen another.  Mike

Sadler McGraw

the Knight and Hale was the perfect grit for glass and crystal.  I have one that is wore down to about 3/8 long, it was about 2 1/2 when I bought it.   it is soft and will leave a lot of grit/powder on the call. But it will condition a glass call perfectly.

I have several others laying around that I condition new calls with.  I wont put a brand new stone on a new call, they will gouge the crap out of the crystal.  I have taken new stones and run them up and down on my belt sand to get them started, even have run the across a flat file before.

Sadler McGraw Custom Calls
World and Grand National Calling Champion

greentag

ive got an old knight and hale that says sanding stone model 139,its the best ive found,like the guys above said,its really soft and leaves powder but it works perfect,i never can do a very good job with the others ive tried but this one works perfect. 

REBELYELL

The old Knight and Hale stone is my favorite also. I got lucky and found one a couple of years ago. I called them and some guy found one in his desk and sent it to me for free. I like it much better than the stone on a stick versions.

Snoodsniper

Slick stick works for me. Its a handy little tool.

scoot12

Primos slick stick or cane creek calls makes a nice stone.  Scoot

SS Calls

I've used the slick stick for years. Works for me.

Tennessee Lead

I like my Slick Stick for an all in one type tool.
My stone from David Halloran seems to do a better job conditioning.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker