turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3" lead #'s Pre-Longbeard

Started by 10gaugemag, March 28, 2015, 10:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gaugemag

What were everybody's 3" lead numbers before Longbeards? Mainly looking for #4 and #5. Never counted 10" numbers before and just looked at even coverage. Getting 85 to 95 with 1 3/4 oz. 5's and mid-70's with 2 oz. 4's in the 10". Still have to try the heavier doses of 5's and some 6's as well.

jakesdad

Getting 120's with the old Federal Blue/Gold box 2 oz #6s and the Winchester Grey box 1 7/8 oz #6s out of my 870 with ventilator choke.Havent used the 12 years,been shooting the 870 20 with old remington green/yellow hevi shot 1 1/4oz #6s with a jellyhead.Turning about the same numbers as the 12.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

KYStalker

I know you asked for 3" but I just patterned a bunch of random 3.5 #5 lead, with a sore shoulder.  Setup was a 935 with .675 Indian Creek, 40 yards, and my best pattern other than Longbeard XR was my Federal Mag-Shok (pre Flight Control Wad) at 128 hits in a 10" circle.  The coverage looked great too.
If you're not first, your last!!

10gaugemag

Quote from: KYStalker on April 03, 2015, 05:50:19 PM
I know you asked for 3" but I just patterned a bunch of random 3.5 #5 lead, with a sore shoulder.  Setup was a 935 with .675 Indian Creek, 40 yards, and my best pattern other than Longbeard XR was my Federal Mag-Shok (pre Flight Control Wad) at 128 hits in a 10" circle.  The coverage looked great too.
Werenthese 2 or 2, 1/4 oz. loads?

KYStalker

If you're not first, your last!!

Dtrkyman

I bought a cheap box of rem. 1 7/8 oz 5s for home defense when I needed some rounds last year, took out a browning turkey gun I have and was really surprised at the patterns I got, I shot it at 40 and it was impressive, I did not count hits but it had to be over 100.