OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

To Jake OR not to Jake, that is the question!

Started by kevin2, March 28, 2015, 09:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I saw several birds while scouting my go to location & not a single mature gobbler. Several Jakes though.

I've passed on a jake already, but this will be my 3rd opening morning of Turkey hunting and I'm not sure I'm ready to go another season empty handed.

So, if you had a chance at a jake opening day, would you take him?

I have one other property that showed signs of holding turkey. I'm not sure when I'll get there to see if it holds any mature gobblers. I have 2 more days set a side before the opener to scout my main property to make sure on the patterns they have & to see if there is indeed a Gobbler to take. Time is not up yet! Opener is the 20th.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

bowhunter2k9

Romans 8:38-39

Efey

Jakes are not legal where I am hunting. 6" on the beard or better unless gobbler is mature enough to have all same length tail feathers. I've passed on 5 jakes thus far.

kevin2

They are legal here. Even hens with beards are legal here!

mason3toes

kevin2

got to be better then going empty handed again! BIG old GOBBLER will likely be the only thing that really excites me though, lets be honest.

Quote from: mason3toes on March 28, 2015, 07:04:01 PM
If it makes you happy bust one.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: kevin2 on March 28, 2015, 09:11:45 AM
I saw several birds while scouting my go to location & not a single mature gobbler. Several Jakes though.

I've passed on a jake already, but this will be my 3rd opening morning of Turkey hunting and I'm not sure I'm ready to go another season empty handed.

So, if you had a chance at a jake opening day, would you take him?

I have one other property that showed signs of holding turkey. I'm not sure when I'll get there to see if it holds any mature gobblers. I have 2 more days set a side before the opener to scout my main property to make sure on the patterns they have & to see if there is indeed a Gobbler to take. Time is not up yet! Opener is the 20th.

First off...if memory serves me correctly you are bow hunting so ANY male bird in that case would surely be a trophy. Bow hunting turkey is really difficult. Second...if you have never bagged a bird before that is even more reason to pull the trigger on a jake. Unless you have lots of toms in the neighborhood and patience would lead you to one...I'd bag one for sure as long as it's legal. To me...hunting is about having fun, sharing experiences and yes that doesn't always mean getting your kill BUT if you never score one...then what is the point. Meat is meat...just my two cents.

alclark2

My first bird was a jake. It was very memorable and I enjoyed every second. I can't say I won't take another  ;D ;D ;D
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

kevin2

I think you are right, if I see one and I'm hunting with my bow still, then I'm going to bag him.

It is the plan!

Quote from: Bigeclipse on March 29, 2015, 02:38:17 PM
First off...if memory serves me correctly you are bow hunting so ANY male bird in that case would surely be a trophy. Bow hunting turkey is really difficult. Second...if you have never bagged a bird before that is even more reason to pull the trigger on a jake. Unless you have lots of toms in the neighborhood and patience would lead you to one...I'd bag one for sure as long as it's legal. To me...hunting is about having fun, sharing experiences and yes that doesn't always mean getting your kill BUT if you never score one...then what is the point. Meat is meat...just my two cents.

WV TURKEY THUG

ScottS

As long as you enjoy your time getting him I don't see why it matters if he has a 2 inch beard or 10 inch. Turkey season isn't that long so you have to take what you can get. I always hold out until the end of the season before I will take a jake.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: ScottS on March 30, 2015, 01:25:17 PM
As long as you enjoy your time getting him I don't see why it matters if he has a 2 inch beard or 10 inch. Turkey season isn't that long so you have to take what you can get. I always hold out until the end of the season before I will take a jake.

We have a 2 bird limit here in NY.  In my area there is very little public land unless I drive a solid 60+ minutes away.  There are some parcels that are like 100 acres here and there.  I only have private land to hunt on that totals about 200 acres, but it does hold some bird.  So for me, my first bird will be whichever comes my way first...jake or tom.  If I do get a jake first, I will NOT shoot another jake the rest of the season, only Toms.  If I get a Tom first, again I will not shoot another bird unless it is another tom. For me, it is the thrill of the hunt.  I get just as excited getting doe's as I do big bucks.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to bag a 12 pointer buck, BUT again...it is the thrill of the hunt so it really doesn't matter to me.  I am not a trophy hunter.