turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kicks.690 - Disappointed

Started by bowmaster5687, March 27, 2015, 11:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowmaster5687

Shooting a browning gold 10. Went with the .690 as recommended.  Put it on paper today and was underwhelmed. Didn't count but it wasn't all that spectacular at 40, and at 50 the 37 x 37" square was fully blanketed, with no particuliar pattern.  Shot federal copper plated 4's and hevi shot mag blends. It has enough to kill a bird at 40, but no more then any 12 gauge I've ever shot. Thoughts? SHould I go with a .685 or cycle through some other .690's in other brands. How is a pattern master effective with a .720 turkey tube?

10gaugemag

2 1/4 oz. #4's? My .695 didn't seem to like the 2 1/4 oz. loads but did very well with 2 oz. loads. Now shooting a XX Comp-n-Choke with all weights and really like it. Maybe not as tight as the .695 but an overall better hunting pattern. See if you can find some Remington #4's as well, these have been the best lead #4's I have shot through about 4 Brownings but I don't know how they will work in a .690 but shot very even full choke patterns in an older Patternmaster.

the Ward

It may be your gun is just one of the exceptions and needs to go tighter on the choke? I have had that happen before. Before you throw in the towel on the .690, try really cleaning the barrel good, then run some alcohol patches to get all the oil out, nice and dry. My gun acted the same way as yours at first until I got it really clean then it shot good. It also seems the more rounds you put through the Kicks the better it shoots. I have no idea why that is but some other members have reported this and I have found it to be true also in my gun. Now I can't say for sure that is what the problem is but it is a good starting point. You may ultimately need to go to a different constriction. Also don't forget that those lead shells are old tech, they are not going to put up LongBeard like numbers, but the Magblends should be putting up good patterns though through that choke. Try some Rem 2.25 4's and Win 2 oz. 5's or Fed FCW 5's or 6's in lead or the Fed Heavyweights in 7's Good Luck and hope you get it shooting the way you want.