Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What is the best thing to use to prep your calls

Started by LARRYHAYNES, March 24, 2015, 01:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARRYHAYNES

Wheather it be crystal, glass, copper, or aluminum. What do yall use to scratch each one up?
LARRY

dejake

sandpaper for my slate, scotchbrite for glass.

BABS9

Conditioning stone and scotch brite for glass and crystal. 320 grit for copper.

howl

Pretty much just use chalk these days. Scratching a hole in a call makes no sense to me.

zelmo1

Scotch Brite for Glass and 200 sand paper for copper and slate

jakesdad

Quote from: howl on March 24, 2015, 04:33:59 PM
Pretty much just use chalk these days. Scratching a hole in a call makes no sense to me.

How hard you scratching? Never worried about wearin a call to thin using scotchbrite or 220.Never heard of anybody using chalk on a pot call surface but I suppose it would work.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

porcupine

Never thought of using chalk on a pot...have to check it out :popcorn:

howl

Even if you don't use it on the front, flip your calls over and chalk the back. Many calls do good soft calling when the back is chalked.

eddie234

Drywall Sanding screen on crystal,glass. Green scotch brute on slate and an alcohol prep pad on my anodized aluminum. Everything fits nicely in an old plastic snuff can.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

rpinks

X2 on the drywall sanding screen. Thats what perfection calls put me on for the Screamin Demon 11.
Thanks, RP

DrummingStick

I agree with the ones that said to use Chalk if you go to rainchalk.com it is an all weather chalk and can be used on any kind of friction turkey call and it last a very long time.

ridgerunner

Chalk works well on slate surface..but i scratch it up with scotch brite or fine grit sand paper first..scotch brite on glass and alcohol pads on aluminum for me too.

bbcoach

Explain the logic of using chalk on slate???  I've always used scotchbrite on my slate pots and drywall screen or rough sandpaper on glass and crystal. 

TauntoHawk

Interesting chalk a pot call you say... Hmmmm

I have one of those conditioning stix primos made em I think, they have Scotch brite pad, stone, a screen surface and chalk inside.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DrummingStick

:turkey2: If you go to www.rainchalk.com there is a video that explains why this chalk is all you need. It explains how to use  the white part of the chalk and the red center of the chalk is for Strikers.  No need to scratch up your call especially if you have pictures under the glass. It works on all pot calls and box calls virtually any friction call. You name it and it works. With this chalk if it starts raining your back in business in less than 60 seconds.  It worth looking at.  And you won't have to run to the store every year to buy more chalk this chalk lasts a very long time some say years. Not good for the seller but great for the Turkey Hunter.