turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sweet Hen Music

Started by Eric Gregg, March 23, 2015, 08:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Gregg

This morning started off cloudy, but the wind was calm and favored a great morning for hearing whatever was in the woods.
After no response to locator calls, I opted to set up on a ridge top where I have struck up encounters with gobblers before. After setting up, I called softly, spacing out yelps and light whines and clucks.
45 minutes into the hunt, I hear in front of me the distinct, whinny, nasal yelp that could be nothing more than the real thing. Soon, the lone hen is joined in with her back up singers and they are softly calling down in the hollow, just out of view.
Apparently they thought that I was lost and was letting me know where they were so that I could join in with them. They didn't come to investigate but kept on moving towards the fields where I anticipated they would want to go. No gobbles to be heard, but I always like to listen to wild hens and real turkey talk.

FullChoke

Nice to know that they have given you their approval and acceptance. Just need to have a gobbler do the same thing now.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

surehuntsalot

Hey at least you know your calling sounds good
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

gophert

never a dull moment when chatty hens are around.  Best education you can get.

Sent from my typewriter