turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question for decoy users

Started by Tennessee Lead, March 23, 2015, 02:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Lead

Ok plan on taking my youngest brother on the Juvi weekend. My middle brother has a spot in mind to take him but he is out of town so me and Dad will take him.
The place is around 10 acres it is all field and turkey frequent it. One side is bordered by a straight bluff. One side is bordered by a growed up pasture and one side has a small area of timber.
And the front is road frontage.
We will put him in a make shift blind and sit there. I own decoys but don't use them due to hunting timber.

One is a strutting Jake "Thunder Chicken"
One is a standing Jake "Funky Chicken "
And I have a standing Hen
"HS Strut Sweet Sally"
I feel that using decoys may increase his odds of killing his first Turkey in this field.
I don't have fields to hunt so I ain't familiar with this type of situation.

My question which of these would you use and how?
How would you use them if you use all of them together?

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Marc

I'd put up the hen decoy with the Funky Chicken...

Looking at his first bird, I am assuming he will flop a jake if the opportunity presents...  I think that the full-strut pose would be more apt to scare off less dominant birds than the "Funky Chicken."

That Funky Chicken looks absurd to me, but out of everyone I know that uses one, I have yet to hear a bad review as far as results in the field...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

zelmo1

For me it would matter how many turkeys are on your land. If there is a lot of competition, I would use the jake and hen. If not, just the hen. Good luck

Greenshed Longbeard

I would use the hen alone and focus on calling and not decoys
Greenshed Longbeard