turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I may be screwed!!!

Started by Bigeclipse, March 23, 2015, 11:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigeclipse

Here is the land I hunt which is outlined in yellow (150 acres). The purple X was suggested by a member here that might be a good spot.  Well the funny thing is that is the exact spot I saw many turkeys last year.  The problem is my father-in-law is having the property logged right in between where the number 2 field is and the purple X.  They are logging now and "may" be done by turkey season but could possibly even log into the beginning of the season.  I am wondering if the turkeys will be completely pushed away or will they just be pushed out a bit but maybe I can hunt the fields away from the logging.  grrrr haha.

P.S. if you make a diagonal line from the top left corner of the pic through the bottom right corner that is the top of the "mountain".  if you go from field 2 towards the purple X you are going up hill.  After you reach the X going towards the top right of the picture you are going back down hill.  Some areas are really steep.

Big Treble

Where is the water?

I would only guess(with my limited knowledge) they would relocate.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: Big Treble on March 23, 2015, 07:58:30 PM
Where is the water?

I would only guess(with my limited knowledge) they would relocate.

In the top right corner boarding the yellow outline looks like a path but that is actually a small river/large stream.

Big Treble

Understanding that I am a "rookie" I would choose open area 1, even though it is lower, the water is always in the bottoms LOL. if they are roosting over water, it might be easier to get them in that area than other areas first thing in the morning.  And with a little luck they could fly down in that area.  From what I've learned they prefer to fly down in open areas and looking away from the sun.   I think the trick would be to get into a shaded area looking south(providing up is north on your map).

Again take it for what it's worth, the info I have is from reading and from observation of years of sitting in a tree stand bow hunting deer, not turkey.

Good luck and let us know what happens