turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rookie

Started by surehuntsalot, March 22, 2015, 10:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

Well weekend #2 started off better than last week even though the weather man was against us, just before daylight Saturday I was at one of my listening spots waiting for the "real" owls to sound off, none ever did so I started. I almost fell down the hill when a bird gobbled at the second series of hoots, I took a guess as to where I thought he might fly down in the area of.(wrong)He gobbled somewhere around 8-10 times in the tree, after he flew down maybe 6-8 more times.I made my first set of calls to him around 7:15,he answered ,I called back to him, he answered back, I sat the call down and started the waiting game.(the first time I called to him, he wasn't 100yds away) 15-20 minutes passed no a sound from him or me, another 15-20 minutes pass, he gobbles 1 time still in the same area about 100 yds away. I do a little light purring and scratching the leaves, he gobbles twice a little closer, I shut up, another 30 minutes or so goes by, we are both silent. Another hour goes by, nothing but silence, it is around 10:00 or so haven't hears nothing in over an 1-1/2 hours, been sitting basically motionless for awhile, told myself that he has gone off with hens, so I decide to get my drink bottle out of my vest pocket. I sat my shotgun down in my lap, and that's when I made my dumb rookie mistake, just as I was turning the bottle up, I saw a white, blue and red head behind some vines in between 2 pine trees. He was standing there watching an grown old man make a fool of himself after being outsmarted by a walnut size brain animal.

I spilled my drink, dropped my gun and said a few choice words as he turned and ran away.
I wonder just how bad he was laughing at the sight of the old gray haired man rolling around with a drink bottle and a shotgun while his legs were asleep, but that's turkey hunting and I can't wait to go back, also remember you are never to old to make a rookie mistake ;)
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

FullChoke

Man, you had me at "Well weekend!" I hurt for you and laughed out loud because we have all been there. Turkeys are the ONLY game that I hunt that I get tickled when they outsmart me. Sounds like you enjoyed it as well.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

gophert

Steve....we are all going to have to chip in and buy you a FULL BLIND and a flock of decoys if you continue with these antics

Sent from my typewriter

FullChoke

I was thinking about getting him a Camelback and a box of Depends.   :popcorn: :thanks:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: gophert on March 23, 2015, 08:21:05 AM
Steve....we are all going to have to chip in and buy you a FULL BLIND and a flock of decoys if you continue with these antics

Sent from my typewriter

I'm beginning to think I might need them
it's not the harvest,it's the chase