turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sanding down strikers

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 22, 2015, 10:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Have any of you ever took a striker with a mushroom head and sanded it down to make a straight tip. Wondering if you have had good results doing this.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

KentuckyHeadhunter

I have tried but it wasn't consistent enough all the way around.  I haven't had luck trying to alter them but maybe it requires the proper tools.  I'm not a fan of mushroom tips but lots of guys like them.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Spitten and drummen

I hate mushroom tips. I want a straight tip all day everyday. I am going to try to sand a couple down that I never use just to see. if it don't work , I aint outta nothing cause I don't use them anyway lol.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Bowguy

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 23, 2015, 11:10:37 AM
I hate mushroom tips. I want a straight tip all day everyday. I am going to try to sand a couple down that I never use just to see. if it don't work , I aint outta nothing cause I don't use them anyway lol.
agree 100%, I absolutely hate em too. A call or two I've bought has been supplied w them n to me they're almost useless, I never use em. Altering em can't hurt

mgm1955

IMO they are easier to use and more forgiving.

Spitten and drummen

That is a matter of opinion. I learned with straight tip strikers over 30 years ago and to me and for me straight tip strikers are the way to go.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

REBELYELL

Get you a Dremel tool and you can make quick work of it. You can finalize the straight tip
with sandpaper sheets when done.

mgm1955

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 23, 2015, 09:51:00 PM
That is a matter of opinion. I learned with straight tip strikers over 30 years ago and to me and for me straight tip strikers are the way to go.
That's why I said IMO. Everybody has one.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: mgm1955 on March 24, 2015, 08:29:52 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 23, 2015, 09:51:00 PM
That's why I said IMO. Everybody has one.
wow. My apologies for the offense. I just asked about sanding strikers down. Not about the forgiveness of a mushroom tipped striker. Again my good sir , no offense intended.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: REBELYELL on March 24, 2015, 05:21:51 PM
Get you a Dremel tool and you can make quick work of it. You can finalize the straight tip
thanks rebel, I'm gonna give that a try and see what happens
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

WillowRidgeCalls

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 24, 2015, 09:17:21 PM
I've done a few with a file, for me it's easier than a power tool for keeping the shape better. I've also cut a few off and reshaped the tips crown with a file or sandpaper. If you cut the flare off, remember shorting the peg will make the top counter weight a bit heavier, but if it has a longer peg shorting it sometimes helps a lot? I try to keep all my striker pegs at about a 4" maximum.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: WillowRidgeCalls on March 25, 2015, 09:04:07 AM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 24, 2015, 09:17:21 PM
I've done a few with a file, for me it's easier than a power tool for keeping the shape better. I've also cut a few off and reshaped the tips crown with a file or sandpaper. If you cut the flare off, remember shorting the peg will make the top counter weight a bit heavier, but if it has a longer peg shorting it sometimes helps a lot? I try to keep all my striker pegs at about a 4" maximum.
thanks. appreciate all the feed back. I am working on a couple I don't care for now.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

born2hunt

A bench grinder works wonders, just lay the striker on the guard and slowly rotate it parallel against the side of the wheel. Emphasis on "side of the wheel". You cant hardly mess up. I've done it with good results and great improvements to the strikers and have to agree, flare tips got to go.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Stump.270

I have done it to a few I also reshape the mushroom heads to make them flatter I don't like round strikerz