OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

M2 20ga help

Started by Roost 1, March 22, 2015, 08:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roost 1

Ok got to vent a little and hoping so someone can help.... We have tried 5 different M2 20ga with several different chokes, JEBS, IC Sumtoy, trulock, rob Roberts best pattern so far is 135 in the 10"@40yd which is in-acceptable for chokes that cost $50-$100.... We have spend a small fortune on ammo and chokes..... Open to any suggestions....

01Foreman400

Mine only did 140's with a Sumtoy. 

Do yourself a favor, load some TSS. 

This morning.

Huntin Fool From Georgia!

Roost 1

I wish I could.... Awesome pics.

hookedspur

Quote from: Roost 1 on March 22, 2015, 08:31:19 PM
Ok got to vent a little and hoping so someone can help.... We have tried 5 different M2 20ga with several different chokes, JEBS, IC Sumtoy, trulock, rob Roberts best pattern so far is 135 in the 10"@40yd which is in-acceptable for chokes that cost $50-$100.... We have spend a small fortune on ammo and chokes..... Open to any suggestions....

I'm not sure what Ammo you have tried, but I own 2 M2s and three different barrels and any of the with a IC 555 tube
and hevi13 # 7s will put 175-200 in the 10" . Make sure your finding the center of your shot with an extra big target sheet
maybe 4'x4' and no oil or cleaner in your barrel when you shoot.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

reynolds243

Quote from: hookedspur on March 23, 2015, 09:46:46 AM
Quote from: Roost 1 on March 22, 2015, 08:31:19 PM

I'm not sure what Ammo you have tried, but I own 2 M2s and three different barrels and any of the with a IC 555 tube
and hevi13 # 7s will put 175-200 in the 10" . Make sure your finding the center of your shot with an extra big target sheet
maybe 4'x4' and no oil or cleaner in your barrel when you shoot.

we are all shooting Federal HW7s.  Roost tried an IC 555 out of his with no luck.  I have 10 boxes of HW7s so id like to find the choke combo for that ammo if possible

turkey_slayer

Make sure there is no oil or cleaner in the barrel like hook said. I clean with alcohol and then run a dry patch. Oil will lower patterns from my experience

hookedspur

Those federals do not like a ported choke ,and they like it a little more open ,say 562-580 some where
in that range.
CRUSADERS

reynolds243

guys (just putting it out there) we are all not new to patterning them and understand all about cleaning and oils as well as ported chokes vs non ported.  all guns are being deep cleaned and cleaned between shots and have ran though a bunch of different chokes to this point with little success.  In mine the sumtoy did shoot good at 160 but i had to send the choke back to the actual owner lol...still trying to get him to sell me his hahah.  would go ahead and order one of those but have seen a few issues with them fitting in guns lately as well as up and down patterns. season is less then 2 weeks away so can't chance one not fitting in the gun at this point.

hookedspur

I didn't mean to implie that you didn't know what you were doing ,sorry if it came across that way.
CRUSADERS

reynolds243

Quote from: hookedspur on March 23, 2015, 10:54:28 AM
I didn't mean to implie that you didn't know what you were doing ,sorry if it came across that way.

i didn't take it that way nor did i mean mine to be rude, just trying to alleviate the obvious responses is all.  I'm just at a loss and starting to get pissed over it. 

John D

reynolds243

Quote from: John D on March 23, 2015, 11:13:42 AM
Try a Carlson 575

they don't make a carlsons 575 its a 580. i tried in my gun and it sucked with an uneven pattern and only around 100 at 40yds.  was disappointing cause the 575 was great out of my affinity

gophert

Its hard to say without seeing the pattern.  However, the average range for that load is 125-150 so I would say 135 is about average and WAY plenty to kill a bird longer than you are comfortable to shoot.  If you are chasing a certain number you are going to have to choke it down more.  The best chokes I've seen from that gun are Indian Creek, but I see you have tried that.  You may just have to settle on 135.  You might want to try some Hevi #7's with that IC and see how they do. 

reynolds243

Quote from: gophert on March 23, 2015, 12:23:10 PM
Its hard to say without seeing the pattern.  However, the average range for that load is 125-150 so I would say 135 is about average and WAY plenty to kill a bird longer than you are comfortable to shoot.  If you are chasing a certain number you are going to have to choke it down more.  The best chokes I've seen from that gun are Indian Creek, but I see you have tried that.  You may just have to settle on 135.  You might want to try some Hevi #7's with that IC and see how they do.

agreed due to the limited amount of options for the M2. I have a Pure Gold 555 on the way to try but i have a feeling it will be to tight and blow out the pattern. I have an email into Rob Roberts with my disappointment in the 560 and they may have me try a 570 instead.   May end up sending it to Jebs or to Rob to do the testing just to save me the headache at this point but its so close to season i may just be stuck for this year.

Roost 1

I find it interesting none of the choke makers on here are willng to comment on this thread.
Thanks for all the replys.....I am thinking a .565 might be close since Reynolds 243 got 160 with the Sumtoy....Waiting on a call from the guys at JEBS right now....They seem to be very willing to help but as mentioned above time is drawing near......