OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke I.D. Colonial??

Started by 10gaugemag, March 22, 2015, 07:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gaugemag

Borrowed a few tubes for the Browning this weekend and 2 of them appear to be the same other than not markings on one of them. One is for sure a Colonial IPTPX. Comparing the two tubes the Colonial has a better finish, smoother interior, knurling is flattened and not sharp and the knurling has a definite line where it ends on the choke body.
The unknown tube has sharper knurling that fades into the choke body towards the rear of the knurl band and the porting does not seem to be angled as much.  I had a Star Dot years ago but it had straight lines for knurling and not a checkered pattern and from what I remember was real similar to these 2 chokes. The unknown actually shot a fuzz better yesterday but hard to compare as I was unable to shoot the exact same loads from both and they were not cleaned at that time, more range time this week is in order.
My question is, could this be a Star Dot tube and if so is it of the quality of the Colonial?

10gaugemag

Pictures as soon as my email will open.

10gaugemag

Old Gobbler

I would call up colonial arms and ask them , they are probably the expert on the subject

Through the years they have made various versions , or I believe made chokes that were sold to be rebranded by other resellers
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

10gaugemag

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 24, 2015, 08:09:29 AM
I would call up colonial arms and ask them , they are probably the expert on the subject

Through the years they have made various versions , or I believe made chokes that were sold to be rebranded by other resellers
Good idea, hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Colonial Arms made the original Star Dot choke tubes that all of the Walmart stores sold in the 90's and maybe early 2000's.

10gaugemag

Colonial on top, unknown on bottom.

ILIKEHEVI-13

10gaugemag

I thought it was a Star Dot but the one I had years ago had a knurl ring that was not checkered just a band of straight limes. Any way to tell if this is an original do they all shoot about the same? So far out of 4 tubes I have patterned this out shoots the others with several different loads.