turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

anyone use a pack instead of a vest?

Started by MACHINIST, March 22, 2015, 10:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACHINIST

I don't use the seat on my vest because I bought a fold up seat I like to use.With that being said I have been eying new vests and figured if I had the right vest with a couple she'll holders sewn in and the right pockets it would be the cats meow....what do you think?

GobbleNut

It really depends on where I am hunting.  Small properties where I will be sitting a lot and not hiking around much, I will go with the vest and seat.  Large areas where I will likely be hiking around,...possibly for miles,...I will use a day pack and take a cushion if the ground conditions are such that I think I need it to keep the old rear end dry.  For me, there are times and conditions where one is better than the other.

mgm1955

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 22, 2015, 11:30:50 AM
I really depends on where I am hunting.  Small properties where I will be sitting a lot and not hiking around much, I will go with the vest and seat.  Large areas where I will likely be hiking around,...possibly for miles,...I will use a day pack and take a cushion if the ground conditions are such that I think I need it to keep the old rear end dry.  For me, there are times and conditions where one is better than the other.
Well said!

TauntoHawk

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 22, 2015, 11:30:50 AM
I really depends on where I am hunting.  Small properties where I will be sitting a lot and not hiking around much, I will go with the vest and seat.  Large areas where I will likely be hiking around,...possibly for miles,...I will use a day pack and take a cushion if the ground conditions are such that I think I need it to keep the old rear end dry.  For me, there are times and conditions where one is better than the other.

Pretty spot on to what I do, I'll switch from a vest to my badlands pack if I'm gonna have feet on the ground all day.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

porcupine

Been thinking of getting a vest but year after year im with my pack...love it

shaman

I use a messenger bag.  That's a butch name for a turkey purse.  Here's what I carry:

It carries enough calls for the day as well as ammo, license, etc.  The rest is all stored in a musette bag on the other side.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

MACHINIST

thats where I am,i usually hunt all day so the vest is jammed with food water and all my hunting supplies.I will get a decent pack thats smaller than the one I have and give it a go!

deerbasshunter3

I am going to give a fanny pack a try this year. I am looking for one big enough to hold my wallet, a few mouth calls, slate call, water bottle, a few shells, a few contents out of an MRE, and maybe a pistol.

On second thought, I may just need to go with a backpack and be done with it...

2eagles

Last year I bought a Turkey Thug fanny pack that I saw others talking about here at oldgob. I thought it might be a better way to go. I have a cheap old vest that I like too much to change.  It's nothing special, but it fits me and the stuff I want to take. Maybe you'll see my pack in the classifieds if I get my lazy self in gear.

redmag

I have used both but most often a pack and I stuff in a seat.  This year I will be trying one of the Brossie turkey bags with the seat off my vest.

Stickbow98

"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

catman529

I've never owned a vest. I use cargo pockets and sometimes a pack. This year I got a camo fanny pack to try out, but usually I only need what fits in pockets or my hands.

Sent from the talk of tap

deerbasshunter3

I like the idea of a vest, but I think it is just because newbies see it as an essential turkey hunting item. The reality of it is that a vest, fanny pack, or a back pack will most likely work just fine.

maytom

Thought about switching to some sort of a back pack years ago, but I decided to stick with my vest. 19 zippered pockets, extra storage in game pouch, besides I already carry a decoy bag and a seat and my gun slung over my shoulder now.

tha bugman

My buddy started using one last year and he will not go back!  LOL!