turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

suggestions for 20 ga. lead shell?

Started by hrpp20, March 21, 2015, 11:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrpp20

For my first year in the turkey woods i'm using my pardner pump 20ga. With 21" barrel. I got a great deal on a lead-only .575 undertaker choke, so I want to find the best lead shot available. Can't use long beard because they don't make it in 20ga yet. Already tried Winchester double x #5.it Did not pattern well.

Tom Foolery

I've shot Federal and Win lead in my 20 gauge, 4's, 5's and 6's.  Federal #6's give me 60-70 in the 10" @ 40yds and about 130 @ 35yds.  I would not want to shoot any lead from my 20 gauge over 35yds and the Winchesters @ 30yds are topped out. 

Federal HW #7's would be my advice if you are looking to maximize your gun, if not Federal #6 lead worked best for me from a .550" choke. 

turkeyhunter91

A couple of years ago I used my Mossberg with a undertaker choke. I tried remington nitro #5s, Winchester super x #5s, federal turkey thugs #5s and the federal 1 5/16 #5s with the flight control wad. the ffederal with the flight control wad shot a lot better than the others. I can't remember the exact pellet count. Hope this helps.

surehuntsalot

try the undertaker choke and also put your factory full choke in and try the Federal #5's and 6's with the flight control wad, you might be surprised
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

dawei

Quote from: hrpp20 on March 21, 2015, 11:02:10 AM
For my first year in the turkey woods i'm using my pardner pump 20ga. With 21" barrel. I got a great deal on a lead-only .575 undertaker choke, so I want to find the best lead shot available. Can't use long beard because they don't make it in 20ga yet. Already tried Winchester double x #5, it id not pattern well.
Two Pb loads that pattern well in my two 20ga guns through a .575" choke are...
• Federal® Premium® Mag-Shok® Flitecontrol® Wad  3" Mag 1200fps 1 5/16oz of #5 (#PFC258F)
• Remington® NITRO-TURKEY™ 3" Mag 1185fps 1¼oz #5 (#NT20M5)

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Swampchickin234

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 22, 2015, 01:34:08 PM
try the undertaker choke and also put your factory full choke in and try the Federal #5's and 6's with the flight control wad, you might be surprised
this right here.  I like those 6s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surehuntsalot

I have a 870 youth, as far as lead shells, the Federal  #6's and 5's + the Winchester #5's do very well through a Carlson .575 choke

hrpp20

I ran all over town this morning looking for fed mag shok with fcw, but no one had them. I did find some federal strut shok "turkey thug" #5 3in. And decided to try them because they get a lot of praise on the lead shooters board. I will update when I pattern tomorrow.

hrpp20

Quote from: hrpp20 on March 27, 2015, 07:16:34 PM
I ran all over town this morning looking for fed mag shok with fcw, but no one had them. I did find some federal strut shok "turkey thug" #5 3in. And decided to try them because they get a lot of praise on the lead shooters board. I will update when I pattern tomorrow.
The thugs did pretty good. Not the ideal 40 yarder but it is solid out to 35. I am still going to try the mag shok , but we are already 2 weeks into spring season here in Georgia, and I am ready to settle on a shell and get out hunting.

dawei

David

1. Jesus Christ.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

hrpp20

Quote from: dawei on March 29, 2015, 11:56:13 AM
I thought Thugs, Strut-Shok® was only available in 12ga?
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/shotshell.aspx?id=698
They are not sold or even listed anywhere online but you can find them at Walmart or Dick's sporting goods

surehuntsalot

you can get the turkey thug shells in 20ga at wal mart, all I have ever seen at my wally world has been #5's

dawei

Thanks guys, off to several Walmart®'s I go!

David

1. Jesus Christ.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

vpsalin

Try the winchester superpheasant 3'' #6!!!!!!!
1966 870_WM / 20'' Deer RS / IC .665 / SHURSHOT / 1.75-5x32 Legend HD / LB_XR_3''_#5

Excalibur Micro335 RT / Nikon Bolt XR / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Excalibur Grizzly305 MO / Deadzone / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

tree-rat sniper

I've had good luck with the win xx 3" #5s.  Took my biggest bird with those last spring.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!