Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Weakend Too

Started by FullChoke, March 20, 2015, 04:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Fercryinoutloud! I am taking the blasted weatherman off of my Christmas card list! They have conjured up a thunderstorm-filled weekend to add to the already frustrating lack of gobbling for the 2015 season. It could be worse I guess. Maybe I'll just crawl in a rainsuit and cluck for 12 hours. Wet turkeys make for ugly hero shots, but they still count. As a matter of fact, a wet turkey weighs more than a dry one, right?  ;D

On a much higher note, our teammate Gagry will be disturbing the peace in Georgia tomorrow AM. Teach them gobblers a lesson in deceit and trickery, Mike!  :z-guntootsmiley:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

jakesdad

At least you get to go unlike us poor northerners who still got to wait a month..........

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

FullChoke

Well, rain don't always rain.

Friday before work, I went to the woods and called up a jake and a hen who come up from behind and passed me at a distance of 6 yards clucking and curiosity purring. I believe that they didn't make me at that distance because they first spotted the bottle of water I left laying on the other side of the tree I was sitting against. No gobbles, so I left and went on to work.

Saturday morning the rain was predicted to hold off until about 10:00 so I headed out to the same area that I had killed one at opening day of last year. I waded the shallow slough and one gobbled to the north of me about 300 yards along the slough bank. I took off towards him and had another one start gobbling to the east. I stayed focused on the one to the north and cautiously got to within 120 yards of his gobbling. After a while I recognized that there was another gobbler with him.  They gobbled enthusiastically at my clucks and scratching, but would not budge from their respective spots. I gave them the deadly silent treatment, but they resisted. Eventually they drifted off to the north and it started to rain. Altogether I heard about 60 gobbles from these 3 Romeos. Somewhat satisfied, I packed it in and headed back to the crib.

This afternoon, the rain stopped and I headed back to a spot that I had heard a flock of crows harassing what I assumed to be a group of turkeys. I found a good spot to watch a creek bank, but had no action there. I decided that this was a dry hole and lofted a few lonely clucks on the breezes. A minute later a hen stomps up to the other side of the creek and proceeds to dress me down for not keeping up with the flock and that I should get my feathered tail in gear and catch up, NOW! I love talking to turkeys.

No bird on the limb yet, but things are definitely picking up and coming into clearer focus and hopefully we can get a fat one on the board soon.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Eric Gregg

I'm heading out tomorrow hoping to stir up some havoc :OGturkeyhead:

FullChoke

Do well and aim small.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase