North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

When the turkeys don't gobble...

Started by FullChoke, March 18, 2015, 06:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

go fishing. Hand Grabbing for Grennel!

Kaelon and I found this poor prehistoric soul in a tiny drain in the woods we were hunting last Saturday. I was sure that he would be on the menu at Chez Coon that evening. He fought every attempt I made to pick him up until I just flipped him up into the woods. I released him into a nearby bayou where he could stand a chance. They are a blast to catch on bass tackle and a chartreuse spinnerbait.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Eric Gregg

jakesdad

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

FullChoke

Quote from: jakesdad on March 19, 2015, 11:48:20 PM
Cool vest buttons by the way!  ;D

The buttons were made from deer antler sheds that I had found through the years. The vest is also handmade and is in its 22nd year and is still rocking the woods. It is starting to show its age a little, just like the occupant. I quietly smile to myself when someone online brags about how their TaterII has lasted 5 years.  ;)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

jakesdad

I hear ya. I have a cheapy walmart 10x vest I bought in the grey realtree camo back in the 90s that cost me like $15 at the end of the season.Cracks me up seeing all these new vests costing $100 + with all these "specialized" pockets.Mines a simple strap vest with 4 big pockets plus a couple smaller pockets sewn on the inside.Doesnt seem to hinder my turkey killing being without the latest and greatest or "in" camo  ;D

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Redfish

That looks like what we call a mudfish here. If so, you sure don't want to grab him by the lip!
John 3:16

FullChoke

Quote from: Redfish on March 20, 2015, 03:03:51 PM
That looks like what we call a mudfish here. If so, you sure don't want to grab him by the lip!
I have also heard them called bowfin. This was my grandfather's absolute favorite fish to catch. I am intimately aware of the alligator teeth that lie inside those pursed lips. That was what made it so hard to get him out of that shallow little puddle that we found him in.