OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Win 3.5 #5 What do you think?

Started by Rem Man, March 16, 2015, 10:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem Man

Hello guys I went to the range here in pa today, 43 degrees and was shooting my SBEii with an Indian Creek .665 with 26 inch barrel. I shot at a ranged 42yds. with the old Winchester high velocity 3.5 2oz #5 and got a nice even pattern of 116-120. I know these shells have some good knockdown power. I was just wondering what you thought of the numbers. THANKS!!

Sorry I can't post pics for you to see.

jordanz7935

Those numbers arent super high but @ 43 degrees, your patterns are only gonna get better in warmer weather(turkey season).Id hunt it and not worry. Those are great shells.They were probably the best lead loads on the market until the LB's came out(At least since federal started using the FCW).1300 fps #5s will wreck one @ 40 yds. I patterned those shells last year in my 935 against 3.5" LB #5s. Of course the LBs had higher #'s but those Win HV's were no slouch either and were more of forgiving pattern than the LB's.Same shells in #6 would definately get you higher #'s too.

BandedSpur

Before the advent of LBs, 115-120 was and still is good numbers for Pb 5s, esp. at 43 degrees and 42 yds. The LBs put will put up better 10 counts, but the old Winches will give much better 10-20 coverage at reasonable distances.

budtripp

Thats a good hunting pattern, a least if its even with no big holes.

zelmo1

:OGturkeyhead: :z-winnersmiley: If it is even, try it again when it gets warmer if you want, it sounds good to me.

surehuntsalot

lead #5's in the federal and Winchester loads has always been my favorite lead load, if you do your part, they will do their's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

10gaugemag

As long as you have a nice even pattern with a decent core everything will be just fine. I don't count numbers, I just look for a nice even pattern with no holes.

albrubacker

:OGturkeyhead:
Should be good. Like others mentioned, a nice even pattern is what your looking for.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott