Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

pulling birds from bordering properties

Started by Cbw33, March 16, 2015, 06:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I have had luck doing pulling birds over...  Last time I was successful, I set up right next to the fence line mid-morning (waiting till I felt the hens had left the toms)... I set up, and as close to where I think the bird is as I can legally get, I do a bit of calling to get the bird fired up.  As soon as he was fired up, or even gobbling, I started calling & walking away, going further into the property I had permission...  And I waited...  And waited a bit longer. ;D

Never had much luck calling birds off of hens right of the bat...  Wait till he is amorous and frustrated, and he'll go through that extra effort, just like human turkeys will.... :goofball:
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Rick Howard

Knock on the neighbors door and ask to hunt there.   :jackson:

perrytrails

If you are about finished hunting for the day, walk the line with a box call and hammer on it hard. Call loud and cutt a lot.

Some days I don't get to hunt all morning so this is one of my tactics that has produced.

Idk how many times I've returned the next morning and a bird is roosted close to that area I was calling from.

This works much better later in the season when maybe a gobbler only has a few hens left hanging around.

It's worked for me many times over the years.

zelmo1

:OGani: Stay on your side. Do not shoot over the line. Hunt legally and ethically, let your conscience be your guide. Some hunters would have no problem letting you call birds in and cutting you off, if you keep it clean, you are all set. Just my 2 cents

ridgerunner

The birds don;t know where the property lines are, you're just calling birds in the woods...they could care less where the lines are...they either come, or they don;t , just like anywhere else...no secret recipe.

Honolua

Quote from: JLH on March 16, 2015, 06:32:24 PM
Lots of corn..... :popcorn:

This while your waiting for your chufa and white clover food plots to grow

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: ridgerunner on March 20, 2015, 06:16:50 AM
The birds don;t know where the property lines are, you're just calling birds in the woods...they could care less where the lines are...they either come, or they don;t , just like anywhere else...no secret recipe.
couldn't have said it better.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TRG3

To me, calling a turkey from a nearby property is no different that watching a nice buck exit a neighbor's woods and then walk past you broadside at 20 yards. Would you not shoot it because it was somehow protected by coming from another's property?  I don't know about you, but most of the places that I hunt border places that I can't hunt and any deer that passes within range of me that I want to shoot, I do so regardless of the path they've used to get there! Both deer and turkeys are free to roam from property to property without regard for posted signs or fences while I have to obey both. Having said all of that, this year I got permission to hunt a 40 acre crop field. The only thing that's huntable on the property is a wooded draw about 50 yards long and 200 yards long that runs at a right angle from a posted 80 acre woods that holds turkeys. The owner of the woods will probably be hunting the 80 acre woods the first Illinois season. I won't hunt the 40 acre crop field/draw until the third or fifth Illinois season, setting up along the wooded draw at least 100 yards from his property line. I'll use my Pretty Boy or Funky Chicken, breeding hen, and feeding hen decoys to give the impression that some new turkeys have come to the area. I'll both hen yelp and gobble. There's a real good chance that the peck order of the gobbler or boss hen will draw a gobbler to me. This may take several hours, but it wouldn't be the first nap I've taken in my ground lounger as I wait for curiosity to work on the real birds. I've used this technique in the past and it often works.