turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Free Advertising and Pumping

Started by hunter22, March 08, 2015, 11:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter22

With over 8600 members I sure don't blame you guys for being over here.

hunter22

hunter22

I just read Shannon's post that he added as a sticky in the Turkey Calls section. If you are here and want to help support the site I want to say welcome. If you are here for the free advertising I say good riddance. I can only imagine what it takes to keep this site we all love up and running. 

pappy

As a call maker I have received numerous positive feedbacks and sales, because of the courteous and gracious efforts put forth by Shannon and Annie to keep this site on the up and up for all call makers and hunters alike.  The costs that are incurred are way more then any one "not in the know" can imagine, not only in dollars but in time, extreme measures are taken every year, by these wonderful people, to help us help others, allowing us to offer high quality calls at a price that is affordable for the hunter and collectors alike. Any call maker that does not recognize the need to help out, or is not interested in supporting this efforts, in my "Opinion" is leeching and should reconsider their place here, Old Gobbler is the premiere site today for all call makers to show off their wares, to sell calls, and to share their expertise in the art of call making. You cannot hardly find a site anywhere else that will allow you the freedom to do so without paying huge fees upfront to sell, even ebay will charge you more then you would ever be asked to donate to this site's cause. I have always heard never bite the hand that feeds you, no truer words can be spoken of when considering your options, Help Shannon and Old Gobbler Help us....pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

hunter22

Gooserbat

I was glad to buy a couple patches.  A couple diaphragms paid for them, and no one can say I have not be the generous type.

Thanks Annie and Shannon.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Old Gobbler

Okay guys , there was sort of minor personal indifference on this very thread , some misunderstandings etc... there was a round of apologies and it's sorted out - I also removed some posts because it's water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned

Long post warning .....

Oldgobbler.com,  was started 8 years ago , made by my wife for me , I initially created just for a small group of about a dozen of us high school buddies to interact , and was never made public - in 2008 a year later another  then thriving ( but now defunct) forum decided that banners and selling calls , chokes and even turkey dogs was forbidden - I searched for a good forum , but there was simply none out there for turkey hunting , just couldn't understand it - so we (my wife) revamped the site and launched it - it boomed onto the scene,  every callmaker , forum regular , turkey hunter with a computer and...trouble maker kicked down the door to the site ....every thing was great for about 4-5 months. I ran the site by myself -would you believe at that time I didn't even know what a ip # was , or even know how to send a email , I was complete computer novice , my wife was the brains ...but the creed of the site was a online venue for small callmakers and American made companies to have a chance at selling thier product and not being completely forced into chapter by the likes of big box stores that sell even today Chinese made turkey calls...yes it's going on , you heard me right , a communist country making turkey calls etc..China wants your job folks

2nd part comming...
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Old Gobbler

Okay..let's get into some past callmaker drama history without turning over any stones that should be left well alone

Call making was flourishing on on line forums until the economic downturn of 2008 really started to bite into the business and wipe out many folks that were networking via the Internet , I was committed to helping these folks even though sometimes I made waves

Yes there has been drama with the callmakers , I have by trial and error made mistakes on my part , but all around water under the bridge , I'm committed to being a better person , so bygones are bygones - 

Oldgobbler has high levels of turkey hunters , these people buy lots and lots of turkey calls , turkey calls you Cant find in big box Stores , and for the callmaker access to people that you don't have to buy a booth at a convention and barely break even sometimes , the very low overhead of the Internet , plus traffic makes For a winning situation , often times there is callmaker disputes , but I say get along move along,

I can't tell you how many phone calls and pm's I get every day from turkey hunters and call makers thanking me for making and maintaining the site for all these years , it has been very difficult , AND TIME CONSUMING and that's a understatement ...to get everyone to get along ,

My working business model for moderating the forum has changed and improved over the years , I've tried everything folks,  the last nearly 3 years I haven't had to ban a single person , I just ask for folks to behave like they are talking to each other face to face -simple rule "be nice"

Funding the site can be problematic , here is why ..I literally give everything away for free .... I'm grateful for the advertising,  the funds underwrite the server fees and offset my effort somewhat , rather that straight up shake down or beg openly callmakers -I've sold patches over the years , I offer something in return for c a small donation - the item is nice and affordable -it is the primary source of funding the site -- at first when the site was small we sold only a small few , some years we didn't offer any for c sale , but as the site grew , we came up with popular designs , and they sold better -

Over the years here is unfortunately has happened , and have sat under many a oak tree in the woods pondering about it , many ,many times -- I've come up with all kinds of inventive ways to grow the site , help callmakers , entertain turkey hunters , but all that comes at a huge , huge price to me personally - the last 4 years I've been making my push pin calls again for t he public -  this has really ate into my free time , I have to cut back on that I guess , the $$ from it is nice , I don't like paying taxes on it but that's another story - here's the part I don't like , essentially speaking the funds I make selling my calls those funds ....in round about manners ....with the patch money .... pretty much pay for the whole shebang at oldgobbler , pretty much my turkey calls are being sold by me , to put back into the site for other people -- depending on how you look at it - most or the majority of the patch sales in the beginning ....the turkey hunters buy those up , for some reason , in the past ....the callmakers hardly purchased those , to underwrite the site that helps them out so much , I don't know if the call makers are so busy they don't notice , or that they harbor a personal past grudge , but you know what ... fair is fair folks , I'm aware of the other callmaker fundraisers on the Internet , and 2 patches is a pittance to pay ( if you can swing it , I understand times are tough for some folks ) I was raised dirt poor as a kid and I know all about tough times- I had situation some years back where I essentially came to the conclusion that I was a unpaid employee for a certain individual , while I was promoting his company tirelessly , he was enjoying free turkey hunts that I myself couldn't afford to spend time on , because .....I'm To busy underwriting his business baby sitting his "pro staff"  at the expense of my personal family time , hunting time , and even time away from my real job where I could be supporting my family - but you know what lesson learned

I like posting on the forum just like the other members, just point out some stats in the last about 4 years here are my online stats  87 days, 2 minutes

I am very aware of some of the policies on other hunting forums , there is a preditor and another archery site and I hear they will "square right up wit you " right away

to the callmakers ...I love you guys , trying my best to help you , look at the serious traffic on the site ....
if your beyond the hobby stage with call making , you need to seriously consider being a " site supporter " get some darn patches

--shannon

-Shannon

Gobbler2577

I have to admit that I had (have) no idea what goes into making a forum work.  I found Old Gobbler by searching for some information about a ten gauge choke a couple of years ago.  I'm a ten gauge addict and I had no idea there was a site that had a ten gauge forum.  That being said, I soon found there was a wealth of information here about anything turkey hunting, call making, shotguns, choke and load combinations, and the list goes on.  I've made calls for the last fifteen years yet I've never attempted to sell one on this site.  I sold a few lots of years ago on eBay before everybody and his brother began making what looked like a Cost style box.  Many of them looked good, but few were quality and I just stopped selling on the Internet.  I do know however that a venue to FREELY sell calls to guys all over the country is a valuable asset to a call maker.  I've watched as call after call has been sold and traded on this site and have been amazed at the business done here.  My guess is if Shannon had half of a percent of all that business he'd be doing quite well.  The fact is he doesn't ask for anything but for those who use the site to buy two patches for 8.50 each.  That's unbelievably cheap to have what this site offers.  I may never sell a call here, but it's worth twenty bucks to be able to glean the information that is available here. 

I've lived long enough to learn you really shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, so don't take for granted what is here. 

Shannon, thank you for all your work and for providing us all a place to come together.  I'm sure it is mostly a thankless job, but I'll say thanks.  I love this site and will help support it in any way I can.

hunter22

If you look there are now over 8800 members on this forum. I sure don't blame callmakers for wanting to post their calls on here and have their buddies pump their stuff up. They should thank Shannon and Annie for providing a true turkey hunting site for everyone to see their stuff. I know the callmakers from another forum donated some nice calls for a fundraiser to support their site. I know some of those calls brought nearly 10 times what Shannon is asking the callmakers to contribute here. Several of those guys are on here frequently. To me the saying, "You have to pay to play", should apply.     

strutnrut

I ain't a patch person and I reckon that sometime I'm just slow. For that I am sorry Shannon. I know this is a great site with a lot of very good information on it. It's a great place for callmakers and turkey hunters to gather. I know ya'll work hard to keep it that way. I can't think you enough for putting up with us. Sometimes we get childish and self centered. I'm sorry I just never figured out what the patches were all about. I have never opened it until this thread appear. It wouldn't happen again THAT'S FOR SURE.. Of course you may have to remind me (old age creeping in) AGAIN SORRY  and THANKS

Old Gobbler

As I type this ......This might be to me at this time thinking about it , one of the most pivotal posts ever posted on the forum ....I'm going to go ahead and type some more , I'm only human and make mistakes , but I'm going to go ahead and ad more content and depth to this , with only the best of intentions

Okay guys , I got a inbox full of pm's , I'm kinda real preoccupied right now , but I want to thank all of you right now , before I get a chance to pm back to you ,thank you - Richard , and many of you that were in the dark , the patch thing on my part was really bad communication on my part , it's one of the things we conjured up - we used to make (more) websites for folks back in the day  , that to in round about ways  funded the operation - I've had some very good intentions , and I on my own part have had some very bad communication on my part , my part ...

With oldgobbler here is what is going on , oldgobbler is kinda like a virtual online callmaking and turkey hunting crossroads where all these great people meet up , it's like a online convention center , running on razor thin operating mechanisms - but there is no cash wrap or register at the front of the store , kinda like that little donation or tip bucket you see at some of the deli shops for the employees as you pay and go - here's the problem , that bucket isn't up and front where people can see it ,it's more like hidden in the back room - that's my fault -- that's just about the only other way to pay for the site , other than the very few paid advertisers I have , and I'm the ONLY FORUM ON THE INTERNET TO HAVE EVEN ANY REAL PAID ADVERTISERS - I'm darn grateful to have them   - the patch thing is what is working , or somewhat working right now - next season......I may have to be forced to come up with a very affordable system to engage the callmakers into the system , and possibly prove to be very beneficial to them with a callmaker site supporter area of the site with pictures of all theirs calls , contact info , all that a special area , just for them so everyone can see it - you help the forum , the forum helps you - not sure yet , thinking about it

This thread serves a good purpose because I am very , very aware of the past drama going back 6 years ago to the formation of a more or less callmaker only forum , I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers , just pointing out I am very , very kept up to date with the events on many places , I  like many of you have many friends - but anyways we had a large amount of folks bust out and try to make better mouse trap to say , it's not easy , and it's certainly not cheap by monetary or personal time invested - FOR THE RECORD I DO NOT HARBOR ANY PERSONAL GRUDGES OR MAINTAIN A US VS. THEM ATTITUDE , it doesn't exist -  there is unfortunately ..... Some tension between the callmakers and collectors , there has been some personal disputes over time , people came and went from the various callmaker sites , and yes.... I know most of the content of those disputes , cco, dark side, sunny side .....going way way back I'm well informed , I've watched as a small callmaking forum simply fold up and close it's doors in a matter of not days , but hours with alarming speed , that left me and my staff astounded and scratching out heads on what happened to them - it's a never ending churn of drama , most of those serious troublemakers are gone these days off the internet -

what we have left today is several groups of people with unfortunately some hard feelings to say the least  amongst each other - and spread out in various places - I have some here , that don't like the folks that used to runs a site "cco" , and are over on another site repeating the same mistakes , I got people that used to frequent this site , but are over on another site , wishing they were back over here , I got some people that race on over here to post some calls and make money , but are too cool to be fully involved with the site year round , I have people who are here but are good friends or business partners with some people that are not welcome here ever again over in another place , but are caught in a catch 22 with the situation - i got people over here , that don't want nothing , nothing to do with some people over in other places , that's why they are over here and plenty happy , I could go on but you get the picture there's always going to be some personal disputes - I'm not swinging the doors wide open to another episode of " general hospital " or " real housewives of New Jersey "  there is no way there is going to be any drama ever on this site , people will not be allowed to sail in here and try and call the shots , if you read this and you think you can do this , don't even bother - it's not gonna happen - but like Ricky mentioned if your here to be engaged with the forum year round , participate , be good people and sell plenty of calls .... The site is very available

, I'm not in any way going around playing a pitch for handouts , the turkey hunters on this site are more than willing ( and have been ) to fund the the site via alternative methods .... The prime , prime financial benefactor to the site is the small callmakers , no bullchit'n guys I know how much $$ some of you folks make off this very site , I remember getting off the phone years back and was completely awestruck at the figures , not everyone who sells calls here does well , but I wish they did , you need to be paid for your time don't you ?

-Shannon

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Gobbler2577 on March 21, 2015, 09:49:03 PM
I have to admit that I had (have) no idea what goes into making a forum work.  I found Old Gobbler by searching for some information about a ten gauge choke a couple of years ago.  I'm a ten gauge addict and I had no idea there was a site that had a ten gauge forum.  That being said, I soon found there was a wealth of information here about anything turkey hunting, call making, shotguns, choke and load combinations, and the list goes on.  I've made calls for the last fifteen years yet I've never attempted to sell one on this site.  I sold a few lots of years ago on eBay before everybody and his brother began making what looked like a Cost style box.  Many of them looked good, but few were quality and I just stopped selling on the Internet.  I do know however that a venue to FREELY sell calls to guys all over the country is a valuable asset to a call maker.  I've watched as call after call has been sold and traded on this site and have been amazed at the business done here.  My guess is if Shannon had half of a percent of all that business he'd be doing quite well.  The fact is he doesn't ask for anything but for those who use the site to buy two patches for 8.50 each.  That's unbelievably cheap to have what this site offers.  I may never sell a call here, but it's worth twenty bucks to be able to glean the information that is available here. 

I've lived long enough to learn you really shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, so don't take for granted what is here. 

Shannon, thank you for all your work and for providing us all a place to come together.  I'm sure it is mostly a thankless job, but I'll say thanks.  I love this site and will help support it in any way I can.
thank you for the kind words

Would you actually believe , that I met Neil Cost Personally several times , he was such a generous giving and unselfish man , ate up with turkeys - what a nice man he was

You should make your calls and sell them right here , I've run into too many callmakers that just don't think they can sell calls here, but they should !

Neil Cost  left a call and walked away from it at a convention it was at the river ranch resort in Florida , he was there with Lamar , they were real tight those two --  I found Neil's personal long box laying on a folding metal chair . Neil must have placed it down started talking with a friend and walked away from it --   I walked up and remembered some little old cool guy had it a few hours before , it had a leather holster , I had  never seen a call like that before -- I went and looked for Neil , and GAVE the call back to him , he would play it for me , I was very poor at the time and had no money , but was very interested in buying one from him .... You know what he said.....why buy it when you can make it for yourself.... He then proceeded to demonstrate how to make a long box ....person , to person right there , we talked about wood selection etc... And he demonstrated call operation , he was like any other guy you would meet , it later on turned out to be Neil Cost himself , I didn't know who he was from any other man on the street

Me and my father eventually started making out own Latham style pot call , and one year at the Florida convention  , along came Neil ...... I remember him sitting at out booth and playing the calls , and we cross running calls , Neil could run a call even a very difficult to operate call, he had a jake kee kee figured out in no time flat , he got a call from us

The reason I brought up that story , and it's true ..... Is the generosity put forth by this man

, there was none of this your call looks like mine attitude , there was of this drama like little girls on the internet .......just generosity

-Shannon

Gobbler2577

Neil was a treasure for sure.  I never got to meet him, but the first two boxes I made were from poplar that he sent me.  The third was a cedar box that I sent to him for a critique and I still have the handwritten letter he sent back with the call.  A real generous fellow and money wasn't his game.  Call making was what he loved and he really didn't seem to approach it as a business with the sole purpose to make some cash.  I really always felt he just wanted to give guys a better chance to be successful by making a superior call that simply was all turkey.  Too bad there aren't more like him. 

pappy

I have to chime in again on this.....as a member/seller.....I have profited in many ways because of this site's ability to attract all sorts of people (contributors and noncontributing alike) . And it is the extreme efforts of Shannon and Annie that keeps the lines drawn and the safety nets set up,  and the site has profited from this and anyone who is not aware of the goings on behind the scene should take the time to take notice. Also as a seller, I appreciate every one here who has donated to the cause....all the call makers who have been bent over a table sanding, carving or turning to make their wares and who have donated to help out the expense end of this site need to be recognized and a good slap on the back would be in order, (not a stab in the back) LOL.....and to the hunters who are visiting or who have become members you have found yourself a home here where you can sit down and visit some of the best hunters in the country and chat with the best call makers in the business as well, rubbing shoulders with the elite of the elite! Taking the time to learn and absorb the vast stories and tales is priceless in itself, the costs generated to keep sites like this a float are continuing to increase as time goes by, and I am sure that many of us waste enough pocket change over a year's time that could surely donate to this site to continue to grow, I am hoping to see positive results come from the members here to lend a helping hand in the coming years to keep Old Gobbler up and running for a long time and as a close knit family, that many of us have become we should remember our brothers and sisters in the background as well.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206