turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

David Halloran slate?

Started by STP22, March 11, 2015, 10:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Dooley

I have a Paul Platz cherry on order also. To have one by this hunting season I would recommend Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen or a Houndstooth. Bot of these are awesome calls.

STP22

"Lonnie Sneed's Hot Hen....its only $30."

Well, you can't beat that price for a good call with a lot of hunter's approval.

Now...I know this is probably personal preference, but what is a good striker (brand and wood) for slate?

Thanks!

Steve

BABS9

I like purple heart or dymondwood on mine.

Jgarrett

Everyone is different, but purpleheart is probably one of the most used, Lonnie's hot hen slate will come with a purpleheart with oak top usually, and they play great on those calls.  If you're new to calling, then I wouldn't worry about trying to find another striker with that call right now.  It plays really easy.
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

Y@

David's slate calls sound fantastic. I've hunted with three "old timers" since owning one and everyone of them did the exact same thing. Once they heard the call they kept saying, "take out that slate call you got and get him to come over here!"  I prefer a simple hickory striker on Hallorans call.
I also own a Sneed Hot Hen and it also sounds amazing. I have a bunch a strikers and none are better than the one Mr. Sneed sends with the call. It's Purple Heart and hickory.

STP22

ncturkey

Steve I would say the striker that come with it will work well with it. Once you get the call you will have to find out what kinds of strikers work best with it. Ever slate call is different in what will sound good on them. My personal favorite strikers for slate are Ebony, Goncola Alves, and Wormy Persimmon Striker. There other woods out there that would probably sound good on slate calls. Good luck to you in your choice of a new slate caller.
Quote from: STP22 on March 12, 2015, 10:14:08 PM
"Lonnie Sneed's Hot Hen....its only $30."

Well, you can't beat that price for a good call with a lot of hunter's approval.

Now...I know this is probably personal preference, but what is a good striker (brand and wood) for slate?

Thanks!

Steve

STP22

Thank you, ncturkey!
I ordered a hickory and purple heart from Paul Platz to go with his slate call.
Steve