turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

David Halloran slate?

Started by STP22, March 11, 2015, 10:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STP22

Hello, all! I hope all is well with you.

I am in the market for a slate pot call. Why slate? From what I was told it is easy to use, easy to care for and condition, good range.

I was looking at David Halloran's. Good choice? I know it's a good price.

Also...what is a good wood for a striker? Should one stick with the same manufacturer as the call itself?

Being new, I guess ease of use is the best option.

Thank you.

Steve

Jgarrett

Lonnie sneed hot hen with his purpleheart/oak striker.  Lon trice Birdseye maple slate with dymondwood striker, Paul Platz maple slate.....some some that I can personally attest to.
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

STP22

Thanks, Jgarrett!

Googling them now.  :icon_thumright:

Steve

Jgarrett

John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

BABS9

I have Halloran's slate. It is a great sounding call.

TauntoHawk

David builds one heck of a pot call, his slate will certainly kill birds. Lots of good pot call makers out there but David is up there in my mind.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

STP22

Jgarrett... Paul Platz's curly maple slate looks and sounds (YouTube) amazing. I think I found my call. Do you know how much they run?

Steve

STP22

That's the problem, TauntoHawk...their are so many great choices!

Steve

Jgarrett

Yes it does....$60, but I think he has a wait list until next winter for his calls.  It's definitly worth the wait though.  A lot of people like his walnut double glass as well.  I've got one of them on order.  Good luck to you.
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: BABS9 on March 11, 2015, 11:02:58 PM
I have Halloran's slate. It is a great sounding call.
X2

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

STP22

Well, Jgarrett.....I emailed Paul Platz with my order!

I certainly don't mind the wait for such a nice call. I think I may have to order a David Halloran one for this upcoming spring season.

Thank you, all! I appreciate the advice.  :icon_thumright:

Steve

Jgarrett

David Halloran makes a great call, you can't go wrong with him, but don't overlook Lonnie Sneed hot hen....its only $30, and I think its about a week or 2 turn around time for his calls, and if you want to learn about calling, then he is the one to call.   Good luck this season.
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

sonofabuck

I am a fan of Halloran's calls have one of his pots and a box.  But you should give Mr. Sneed a call.  It's a real treat to talk to him and for only $30 including shipping you can't go wrong.  There are not too many threads on here about slates and his name is not mentioned.

Skeeterbait

Nothing at all wrong with Halloran calls if that is what you want.  Slate tends to be more forgiving but can be difficult to run on a damp morning.  Get a Woodhaven Surface Saver lid for it.  It will fit Halloran calls though it will be a bit tight first time you put it on.  I am not a fan of David's strikers though.  Just personal preference.  I prefer Dad's strikers in Wenge, Osage, and Purpleheart.  All you will need to surface prep the slate is a piece of green scotchbrite but if you order one of his glass or crystal calls, order one of his conditioning stones also.  They are as good as any I have used.

Spitten and drummen

In my opinion Paul platz and jimmy Schaffer make some of the most realistic pot calls out there. There are many others but I haven't got a bad sounding one from these 2 and I have several of their calls. Dustin jones of Blackstone makes some outstanding ones also.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE