OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Please look at this gun for me

Started by wisconsinteacher, February 09, 2011, 07:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I am looking at this gun now and have a few questions.  There is a little surface rust on the receiver and barrel.  The owner reblued the gun to protect it after it was cleaned up.  You can not feel the rust, but you can see it.  My plan would be to DuraCoat it after season and add a Knoxx stock to it.  He is asking 250 for the Rem Express Mag.  I think it would be a better buy for me over the 835 because I have an 870 already and have chokes also.  So, is this a good buy for 250?  It has a 26" barrel.

[attachment deleted by admin]

paladin

the choke idea is good. the 835 has a .775 bore, the remington is .729. You may get better patterns from the .775.
"have gun-will travel"

gophert

Seems a little high for me with all the rust you describe.  Makes me wonder what else might go wrong later since it doesn't look like it has been taken care of.  You can get a new one for around $300, but you will have tax and stuff.  I think $200 is more of a fair price.  I'm no expert however. 

Basser69

Sounds a little high. Here is a site you can look at that sells guns here locally and will ship in the US. It will give you an idea of retail prices on them. Looks like an 870 will start around $199.

http://www.marksgunsearch.com/inventory/all/

knightrider

shop around and get you a new for close to same price

st4wheel

LIMBHANGER

wisconsinteacher

Thanks guys for the help, you are great.

wisconsinteacher

So an 835 ultra mag with an extra slug barrel for 275 is a better deal?  That gun will get the knoxx stock and DuraCoat also.

bowhunter2k9

I bought mine brand new at wally world for $316 realtree camo
Romans 8:38-39

bird

If you're going to get an 870, in my personal opinion, I would opt for a 23" barrel over the 26" barrel.  And for a little bit more money you can pick up a new gun vs a used gun.  Keep your eye open on gunbroker or Buds as you can get some good deals on both sites.  Also don't be opposed to going to Walmart or checking your local FFL dealers in your area as some FFL dealers will order the specific gun you want at a discount.  If you go to Gunbroker.com there is a way for you to find out who the local FFL dealers are in your area.  You just need to do a little keyboard work and you can save some money.  But if you are wanting to have a "Camo" 870SM with a Knoxx Stock then you need to seriously look at  the last gun that I listed in the above post for you on Bud's web site.  By the time you buy a gun and add the Knoxx and other items that you want to add and then have the gun dipped you will spend more money than if you would of just bought the gun already set up that way from the factory.  Its all about personal taste.  

Good Luck ~ Hunt Safe ~ Take Lots of Pictures

bird

wisconsinteacher

Bird, great point.  I will look online for some info.  My problem is that I like to putz and work on guns.  I was thinking that DuraCoating and putting a stock on would be fun and part of the work getting the gun up and running.  Right now the two guns I am looking at are the 870 that is a little expensive and an 835 that the guy will not call me back on. 

allaboutshooting

First of all, I think you've been given some good advice. I really can't see the pictures of the gun very clearly. It looks like an Express model that would have a matte finish, so it's hard to see any rust. I'm sure that you have a better feel for it since you've seen it in person.

Sometimes folks don't realize how much oil that matte finish can soak up and it's harder to see rust on it than on a bright blue. Rust can get a start before you realize it. I've had good luck by really "over oiling" the exterior of my 870 receivers, letting that oil soak in for a day or so and then using rag to remove the excess. That can make them look pretty good and stop the rust.

Just a couple of thoughts, may be of some help, maybe not but since you like to work on guns, it might be of some interest.

Have you been able to see the bore and the inside of the receiver? Those are the real important parts of the gun. There's not a lot in the fire control unit that can rust but I'd take a look at that as well. You should be able to tell, if you're able to look at those parts, what kind of shape, mechanically, the gun is really in.

An 870 is a tough gun. I've seen some that were beaten and battered, had been badly neglected and just kept going.

The advice that you've been given about new guns is good and spot on but if the 870 is mechanically okay and you can get it at a lesser price, you might have a gun that you could work on and satisfy that desire as well.

I'm not sure what that price might be, maybe $150.00 - $175.00, the $250.00 is too high, compared to the purchase price of  a new gun with warranty.

It's kind of fun to work on guns and maybe if you can buy it right, it can become a "project gun".

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

hunter177

:agreed: Sounds high to me. The local Dick's Sporting Goods has a variety of new 870s for between $300-350. I'd get the 835 or pay the extra and get the new 870. The way you described it I'd say no more than $200 is a fairer price.
TriStar Viper G2 12 ga.
26" barrel, black synthetic stock
TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke
Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot

boggszilla

I bought a new black Ducks unlimited 870 in the box,26" barrel for $200...the guy won it in a raffle and needed the money...i would check local pawn shops as well,shotguns are a dime a dozen around here..if you do it this way,you can build it to your specs.