Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stoeger m3500 turkey choke recommendations. HELP!!!

Started by brandoncoant, January 07, 2015, 05:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandoncoant

Hello everyone,I am currently shooting a Stoeger m3500 and am looking for input on what works the best for my gun. I have used the federal mag shock with flite control wads with decent patterns out of the stock turkey choke but have heard problems with it swelling in the barrel. I dont mind paying for a quality after market choke but I plan to use on economy lead turkey loads ($10- $15 per box.Considering Rhino chokes,Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike, Jelly Head or even a nice non ported choke for the Federal Flite Controls.Any input would be appreciated!

Mike Honcho

For a reasonably priced choke I have had good luck with and am currently using a Primos Jellyhead...I think it's a .650 but will have to check.

I used Winchester Longbeards ( 3.5")  lead 5's and 6's last year with patterns in the 250+ range (#6 shot in 10" circle at 40 yds).  The Jelllyhead is fluted and therefore not recommended with Federal Flite Control Wads.

On the 3500 make sure you keep your choke and threads properly lubed and make sure choke is ALWAYS seated fully into the barrel...this choke design with threads at front leaves the opportunity for gases to get between the choke tube and barrel and swell it if not seated in all the way.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't shoot the stock turkey choke that comes with gun.  I think the problems Stoeger had with swelling of chokes on 3500's was mainly in the machining of the barrels...I finally had to buy a new barrel and problem is totally solved.

drum817

Welcome to the forum!  You'll get a ton of responses so here's my two cents..... Get a SumToy .650 & shoot Winchester longbeard #6's.  That combo should be devastating!!!  Best of luck on whatever you decide!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

SumToy

:welcomeOG:

I would run something around 650.  It should shoot the Win XR 6's good and they are low end shells (20.00 ball park).  It will also shoot the HV13 if you want to spend a few bucks on down the road.  Now we will be testing some 5's to see how they do.  The 4's have did good out of the 660. :anim_25: 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Mike Honcho on January 07, 2015, 05:58:53 PM
For a reasonably priced choke I have had good luck with and am currently using a Primos Jellyhead...I think it's a .650 but will have to check.

I used Winchester Longbeards ( 3.5")  lead 5's and 6's last year with patterns in the 250+ range (#6 shot in 10" circle at 40 yds).  The Jelllyhead is fluted and therefore not recommended with Federal Flite Control Wads.

On the 3500 make sure you keep your choke and threads properly lubed and make sure choke is ALWAYS seated fully into the barrel...this choke design with threads at front leaves the opportunity for gases to get between the choke tube and barrel and swell it if not seated in all the way.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't shoot the stock turkey choke that comes with gun.  I think the problems Stoeger had with swelling of chokes on 3500's was mainly in the machining of the barrels...I finally had to buy a new barrel and problem is totally solved.
The Jellyhead for the Mobil Choke system including the Stoegers is .655.

reynolds243

sumtoy 650 was fantastic out of my 3500 when i had the gun. was great with Magblends and Longbeard 5's and 6's

brandoncoant

All very good suggestions. I've been looking at the Sumtoy website, would it be wise to buy the .665 to use with the federal shells that im used to and also experiment with the winchester long beard among other shells? Or just buy the .650 and forget about the Federals....

drum817

Quote from: brandoncoant on January 08, 2015, 07:28:42 PM
All very good suggestions. I've been looking at the Sumtoy website, would it be wise to buy the .665 to use with the federal shells that im used to and also experiment with the winchester long beard among other shells? Or just buy the .650 and forget about the Federals....

To each his own....but I'd just buy the SumToy and Longbeards,  get em' dialed in and go hunting.  :fud:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

SumToy

I would drop the Federal shell.  I think you would like the Win XR hands down. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

gobblingghost

The 3500 is built similar to the old SBE. I have the SBE with a Sumtoy 650 and Winchester longbeards #6.  Besides if it doesn't pattern to your liking William will work with you on getting your desired pattern.