News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Roosting a bird the night before a hunt

Started by Bustabeak, March 23, 2011, 01:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring_Woods

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on March 27, 2011, 07:38:51 PM
I think the trick to roosting a bird is knowing your area and birds. You can't wait till the last night to start looking. It's more productive to go out in the mornings the last few days before the season opens and see where they're roosted by listening for the gobbles. They're way more likely to gobble in the mornings. Then on Friday evening get close enough to where they've been roosting to hear them fly up. In some terrains you can hear turkeys fly up from hundreds of yards away. Find a high spot to listen from that not so close that you'll spook the birds. Then if you want to owl hoot to make sure the bird is there, give it a go. A roosted bird may not be a roasted bird, but he's a lot closer to the pan.

Are you saying that repeated owl hoots will get multiple gobbles?
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

perrysbirds

I was also wondering if you know you have birds on your property that you hunt what about "Practicing" a week or two before the season starts?
Would it have any affect on the birds your going to huntin the next week or two!
I have only tried it once or twice but couldnt get any response...would it hurt your chances if you tried praticing?
If I aint out shooting deer
Im home drinking beer

Nimrodmar10

Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 06, 2011, 07:53:21 PM

No I wouldn't owl hoot repeatedly. The key here is shock gobbling. Usualy after the first gobble it's harder to get repeated gobbles. You only need one to make sure the bird has flown up.

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

Reloader

Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 06, 2011, 07:53:21 PM

I hoot at them until I have them pegged.  I've had toms gobble way after dark every time I hooted at them.  Depends on the bird as well, most wont gobble at all, some will gobble once.

Hooting doesn't bother them a bit.

Cutt

Here in PA it seems like everyone and their brother blows on crow calls and owl hoots at first light. Over the years where I hunt, these calls have become very unproductive as compared to the early years. I rarely carry a crow or owl call, as you might as well not even waste the room in your vest with them anymore.

Even roosting birds her, they just do not seem to anwser locater calls probably due to hearing them just way tooooo much? As with PA we never had afternoon hunting, although this will be the first year as the last 2 weeks one can hunt all day. Not sure how effective my roosting tactic will be once a lot of hunters are hunting all day? But in previuos years where we had to quit at noon, I actually had much more luck roosting birds by calling them. Some loud cutts just before fly up, worked well at times, then I'd back out knowing he was there where he sounded off. This seemed to be way more effective here than locators, as the birds never had anyone calling to them just before flyup? But now with the start of all day hunting the last 2 weeks, I'm sure it will also become unproductive like the locators, once every Tom, Dick, and Harry is out calling in the evening?

Struttin Spurs

I never have had any luck roosting birds in the evenings. I usually just go out every morning starting about a week before season to try to figure out where they roost. I realize this is hard to do if you live a long ways from where you are going to hunt though.