Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Roosting a bird the night before a hunt

Started by Bustabeak, March 23, 2011, 01:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

I have never really roosted a bird the night before a hunt. How do you guys roost a bird before a hunt? Do you just go listen, use a hoot call, turkey calls,  or just try to visually look for  them fly up? Our season opens up this Saturday here in Georgia and thought about doing some listening the night before.

beards-n-bone

In Ky you cant make a turkey call before the season at all.  If that isnt the case with your state, I would recommend doing some cackles at about fly up.  Id say I have about a 25% success rate tryin to roost turkeys.  Dont let it get you down if you dont hear one.  Roosting turkeys has made me walk waaaay to far off the beaten path to get in tight  before daylight......only to have three roosted by my truck and the one I came after leaves with  hens.....

Kylongspur88

A few owl hoots before dark will  get him to gobble. Head back to the same area that you heard one in the morning and he might head back to that area to roost that night.

K-ZONE

Quote from: Joshsmallwood1 on March 23, 2011, 01:15:05 AM
I have never really roosted a bird the night before a hunt. How do you guys roost a bird before a hunt? Do you just go listen, use a hoot call, turkey calls,  or just try to visually look for  them fly up? Our season opens up this Saturday here in Georgia and thought about doing some listening the night before.

When i roost i use a hooter and a high volume crow call stating at the last minutes of light into the next 20 min of darkness.If your huntin woods it helps to know the land  there pattern and roosting areas listen for any turkey sounds flyup can be heard froma ways off if its quiet. If your huntin farms and can watch birds feed to last light watch where they walk into the woods when its dark hit'um with a call to pin point them.The problem when puttin them to bed is they dont always say good night.

StruttinGobbler3

As others have said, roosting is not always effective. Down here where I hunt I rarely hear a gobble when trying to roost a bird. Just because he doesn't gobble the evening before doesn't mean hes not there. Often an area that was silent the evening before will be exploding with gobbles come daylight. If you know the area holds birds, don't worry about not hearing anything the evening before. Be there at first light, they'll be there. Good luck.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

okgobbler

Turkeys also move throughout the night.  I've seen them move from tree to tree.  I guess they were looking for a comfortable spot.

jbrown

Remember, roosting is good, but roosted aint roasted.

bowhunter84

kylongbeards

Proudly providing the american turkey with a quick humane way of leavin this world ...and providin a good ole head stomp to finish the job !

Hevi-shot prostaff
DND Outdoors prostaff

cahaba

Its rare in my area of Alabama to get one to sound off. I dont even try anymore. Any of the locator calls might work. Try a coyote howl as well as any of the many locator calls. One might work on any given evening.

Nimrodmar10

I think the trick to roosting a bird is knowing your area and birds. You can't wait till the last night to start looking. It's more productive to go out in the mornings the last few days before the season opens and see where they're roosted by listening for the gobbles. They're way more likely to gobble in the mornings. Then on Friday evening get close enough to where they've been roosting to hear them fly up. In some terrains you can hear turkeys fly up from hundreds of yards away. Find a high spot to listen from that not so close that you'll spook the birds. Then if you want to owl hoot to make sure the bird is there, give it a go. A roosted bird may not be a roasted bird, but he's a lot closer to the pan.

ncturkey

archery1

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on March 27, 2011, 07:38:51 PM
I think the trick to roosting a bird is knowing your area and birds. You can't wait till the last night to start looking. It's more productive to go out in the mornings the last few days before the season opens and see where they're roosted by listening for the gobbles. They're way more likely to gobble in the mornings. Then on Friday evening get close enough to where they've been roosting to hear them fly up. In some terrains you can hear turkeys fly up from hundreds of yards away. Find a high spot to listen from that not so close that you'll spook the birds. Then if you want to owl hoot to make sure the bird is there, give it a go. A roosted bird may not be a roasted bird, but he's a lot closer to the pan.
Take a kid hunting

Galvin900

I roosted some yesterday in Oklahoma. Found them about a hour before dark and just waited out of site with binoculars watching them (in camo). Just before dark it was like an alarm went off in their head. one by one they made a running start and flew up to roost in a tall tree next to a creek and on a tree line. They usually like that kind of area. Most of the time they will use the same tree every night but dont bank on it. Last week before dark they were about 300 years away.

trkehunr93

Every tactic that can put the odds in your favor should be done, roosted does not always mean roasted but when it does it is oh so sweet!  I usually hoot right at dark or just a little before, sometimes they play along and sometimes they don't.