OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Whats you favorite method when you cant roost them?

Started by MACHINIST, March 09, 2015, 07:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

One of my simple goals each season is to have the opportunity to work a bird on the roost each morning I'm hunting.  If, for some reason, that does not happen on a morning, I evaluate the place I am hunting and make my decision on what to do based on the circumstances.

If I am on a large property, I will invariably start prospecting for an active gobbler,...that is, I will be covering country rather quickly in an effort to find a gobbling bird.  That is not a helter-skelter process, as some hunters seem to imagine.  It is a carefully planned strategy based on my knowledge of the area,...or lack thereof.  It is also governed by the number of other hunters that might be in the area, where they are at, and how my strategy might affect their hunts.  It is also determined by such things as the openness of the area (the feasibility of moving around without being detected),...and the road system through the area (should I walk or drive?  Are there roadless areas that I should consider heading into?) 

*A very important note related to all of this is that I always acquire maps (or print them) of the area I am going to hunt,...and especially so for new areas that I am hunting,...and I want those maps to be as detailed as I can get them.

On the other hand, if I am confined to a very small area that does not allow the first strategy, I will assess where the best place would be to park my behind,...and then I will go there, set up, and wait them out,....all the while hating every single second of it.

turkeyfoot

If I know they are in area and where they been using I'll work patiently but if not run and gun is my choice

Cut N Run

The areas I primarily hunt are pretty small (100 acre+/-) horse farms and the turkeys don't tend to roost on them. There is a swamp by one farm where I hear some gobblers roosting, but I can only get so close to them.  Instead of trespassing and trying to take them at fly-down, I make a note of everyplace I see or hear a turkey around those farms.  I also have the women horse riders trained to let me know what they see, where, & when they see it.  By going to the area closest to the most sightings, I try to find suitable cover or downed trees near where the turkeys like to pass through.  I have several spots on each farm that I can use the horse trail to quickly move around on in between each area, depending on where I hear gobbling.  It is very hit or miss hunting and there's right much hunting pressure on the surrounding farms.  But patience and not calling too much usually help me tag out.

I've had a few close gobblers never come onto the property and it can be one of the most aggravating things to get an uncooperative gobbler to hang up across the line where I couldn't shoot.  One time, I heard a gobbler a long ways off and I took the horse trail that got me closest to him. That gobbler was strutting & gobbling in the middle of the neighbor's pasture.  I stayed back away from the fence and hung back in the woods trying to coax him to my side of the fence with some soft calling.  It worked! He broke strut and started heading my way fast.  There was some old rusty farm implements with weeds growing all through them sitting just across the fence in the pasture and when that gobbler got in range of them, BOOM!  There was also a couple of guys set up where I couldn't see them right between implements.  It turns out the gobbler was hung up to their calls and when I moved behind them in the woods and started calling softly, that gobbler thought his hen was leaving, so he walked right down their gun barrel.  They did thank me, but dang.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

falltoms

If I know the ground,I will set up in known roosting area's, or strut zones. If its new ground I haven't explored. I will slowly make my way along a mountain side or ridges. The same as I would if I were hunting birds in the fall. Calling every so often. I hunt this way by listening more and calling less. A lot of my successful hunts started out with a response from a hen that happened to have a tom with her.

Gooserbat

Find a place with a high spot and give ol' owl call a toot.  Be carful to listen for more than one bird because sometimes the best bird to hunt isn't the first to gobble.  But still be prepared to move on quick and quiet.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

MACHINIST

Great stuff guys!! I've heard you guys say "Listen to them calling on the roost but wait for the RIGHT bird"How do you know which is the better bird?

Garrett Trentham

Quote from: MACHINIST on March 15, 2015, 05:17:10 AM
Great stuff guys!! I've heard you guys say "Listen to them calling on the roost but wait for the RIGHT bird"How do you know which is the better bird?

One may be easier/quicker to get in tight on, may be the one with no hens roosted with him, may be the one that is roosted in a different direction than the other known hunters in the area. A lot of angles play into which turkey to set up on at daylight, and if it was an exact science, we'd all walk out with a gobbler every morning.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

MACHINIST

I understand,always good to learn all you can!!

Dr Juice

I concur with porcupine but I will drive from spot to spot depending on the weather and responses.

hoyt

I never was much on roosting birds. I always know the areas they roost and just get in there in plenty of time before daylight. If I don't hear anything I cover as much ground as possible as quick as possible to try and hear one.

If I don't hear anything I'll hit the good spots and try them a while. If I hear one off the roost and it's got hens I'll come back to the area mid morning and try again.

ridgerunner

i am one who also does not roost birds the night before..the places I hunt i know where the birds are gonna be from year to year..I get there 45 minutes before the sun rises and wait on birds to wake up..when i hear a hot bird.. i head to where I feel i can get in front of him or his direction of travel and set up...once he hits the ground I'll start working him..but not before he hits the ground...If you do not know the direction the birds like to travel, roosting a bird is not of much benefit IMO..since a bird can fly down in any of 360 degree directions..with hunting the same property year after year you learn where birds travel after flydown..to me knowing where they wanna go after flydown is much more useful information in killing a bird that just roosting a bird the night before...like my buddy always said.." Roosted ain't Roasted"

birdman561

Long roads and some quality binos, if there's a berm or high point that helps alot.