OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Whats you favorite method when you cant roost them?

Started by MACHINIST, March 09, 2015, 07:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACHINIST

I usually like to head out the night before and try roosting a bird.If I can I go to when a old roost spot is and try and make the best of it,listen to the woods wake up and then set up for the am.Whats your go to tactic when you cant roost em?

2much2loud

Find a high elavation spot and list at first light and be prepared to move quickly......keep in mind first bird you hear might  not be the best one to go after

Marc

Quote from: 2much2loud on March 09, 2015, 07:19:36 PM
Find a high elavation spot and list at first light and be prepared to move quickly......keep in mind first bird you hear might  not be the best one to go after

This is exactly what I do...

I have found that birds are either near, or using the same areas, but that roost trees change from year to year, and last year, they changed throughout the season...  I try to get to a high area where it is unlikely I will disturb any birds, and try to figure out what is going on...

ALWAYS keep your profile below the skyline...  I do not call, or even use a locator call...  I just let them do what they do, and try to figure out which bird will be the best option to go after.  As stated, sometimes it is not the first bird I hear, and sometimes it is not even the closest one.

On many areas the birds are used to hearing cars and traffic, and I might just pull over to the side of the road and keep my window down... 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Timmer

Depending on the lay of the land and how big the parcel you may want to hike to the center before sun up (assuming you have cover and not out in the exposed open).  Then when they start sounding off you can decide which way to go.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

GobbleNut

There are basically only two instances where I will sit in one spot and wait for a gobbler to gobble, either at dusk in the evening, or first light in the morning.  The first is if I am hunting a small parcel where it serves no useful purpose to be mobile.  The second is if I am absolutely positive there is a gobbler that I want to hunt within hearing distance. 

Around here, a guy could sit in one spot all day and never be within ear shot of a gobbler,...while the guy that is moving quickly from location to location and properly using a locator call might hear a dozen or more.  Lesson to be learned:  Do not pigeon-hole yourself by using a tactic, or continuing to use one, that might not be the best for the area you are hunting.  Adapt to the conditions you face.

Bowguy

Set up initially where you heard birds pre season. Hopefully you are in em. Either way you should be relatively close. If you need to move some, depending on the lay of land, you do so.

shaman

I rarely roost my turkeys, but I usually know where they'll be.  Sometimes I make a mistake and am left with the sun rising and no birds within earshot.   In that case, I know  about  a dozen places I can go to wait for them to show up. 

Sometimes a group just disappears.  It may be 3-4 small flocks that roost over a half-mile of ridge, and one day they are gone.  Poof!  My answer to that is to wait. Usually they will filter back in. Sometimes they are just being quiet.  Other times, they have decided to go to another property, but within a day, they are coming back.  My response is to resort to the fundamentals of going to the places I know I have seen them before and calling.   I'll also go and check out another group.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

J Hook Max

I rarely roost turkeys but I do a lot of early to mid afternoon scouting. Where I find the most gobbler sign, I will be very close the next morning. Roosting is OK but not always necassary.

eddie234

I've hunted the same land for years. Even before we had turkeys around here. I've never roosted a turkey, I know where they like to go and set up accordingly.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

turkey harvester

I've not had much luck roosting birds here in south Mo. Myself I like the challenge of not knowing and making a plan of attack as it unfolds.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Timmer on March 09, 2015, 10:02:50 PM
Depending on the lay of the land and how big the parcel you may want to hike to the center before sun up (assuming you have cover and not out in the exposed open).  Then when they start sounding off you can decide which way to go.

This + the highest elevation.

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Garrett Trentham

In areas with lots of topography, being on a hill top or at least on a high ridge before daylight is very advantageous. However, in the flat land, I've had better luck just slipping into an area that I've known them to roost and setting up before they start gobbling. Each piece of land I hunt has areas that the birds seem to like to roosting in. I usually head straight for those spots in the dark. If for some reason they aren't there at daylight, I head back, grab breakfast and start making the rounds mid morning trying to strike a bird.

If you told me I had to hunt a piece of public ground in the morning with no prior scouting. I would watch where everyone else goes and head the other direction.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

WildTigerTrout

I very rarely roost them. I sneak in before daylight, find a high spot , let the woods come alive and listen. I don't call or use a locator. I just LISTEN. If I hear one soundoff then I decide what to do. If I don't hear anything within 30 minutes then I move on.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

TauntoHawk

Farm country I start at a likely roost spot but won't stick around long if there's no action. Mountains oh wanna get high and listen
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

porcupine

My favorite is to move down wood edges and or deer trails with a combo of locater calls and glassing....as soon as i see sign ,birds ,or get them to sound off i set up and work em....its a hoot  :funnyturkey: