turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeard trouble

Started by tonybforua, March 09, 2015, 05:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonybforua

I was hooked on Longbeard xrs. I was out patterning today shooting 3.5 4s and 6s out of my Mossy 835 with Indian Creek choke. Barrel was clean not polished. My trouble was the POI was different on every shot. Was using a sled so I know it wasn't me. I have scope on gun but checked all that. I checked everything that could be the problem all I can come up with is the shell. It would be high one shot and next would be left. Finally gave up and tried some magnum blends I had left over from last year. Took 3 different shots with the hevis and all covered up the 8.5x11 turkey target. Counted one target and had 248 hits. I was very pleased with the results of the magnum blends but very disappointed in the Longbeards. Didn't have this trouble when I shot them a week ago. Anybody else had similar results or complaints. I loved these shells until today. :TrainWreck1:

Longshanks

I ran into that with the 3" 5's. Pattern variations, different impact points, patterns cut in half. I shot 3" 6's and the patterns were consistent. I was shooting tru glo adjustable sights and my pattern started to wander. I thought it was more operator error and put a red dot on the gun. Shooting fine now but will test some more. Clark has an extensive study on these shells he is going to release at some point.

Hooksnhorns

I shot some a couple weeks ago and had some inconsistencies. One box had some major differences. Most 15 yd patterns ( setting sights) were bout 2" or so, if memory serves.  And one was like 10-12" at the same distance. Idk...
Don't Tread On Me

tonybforua

I started off adjusting the scope each shoot. Quickly realized I was chasing it and it wasn't gonna work out. It was never really off by a lot. Every shot would leave me with one or 2 in vitals. But main pattern would be just on edge of 10" circle every time.

Ihuntoldschool

Well, I will say this. I used the shell to hunt with last season with good results and plan on using it again.  But what you guys are seeing and experiencing is very real, and it is the shell, not you pulling off target or anything.  I attribute the inconsistencies to all that extra resin buffer pushing the shot off the mark. This kind of reminds me of a sabot slug, where the slug doesn't release cleanly from the sabot each time and you see a lot of flyers in some guns. I think the shot may not be releasing in a straight manner from that "shotlok"  each shot.

tonybforua

I had all intentions of using this shell this season. I had already previously patterned a couple weeks ago and was highly pleased.  Was planning on shooting the 3.5 4s. Bought some 6s yesterday morning to try out and that's when it started. Didn't matter which load I tried. I was disappointed.

owlhoot

What was different from a week ago?
Temperature ?
Different box?
Or just didn't notice for sure?

tonybforua

Temp was maybe 15 to 20 degrees warmer. Other than that everything was the same. The 6s was a new box I bought Monday morning the others were leftovers from box I shot last time.

owlhoot

So the hevi shot dead on with that same indian creek?

tonybforua

owlhoot

ouch ! so the choke is good and not swelled or split.

Thats a heck of a pattern. Stays dead on. I would hunt with that.

Hoping some others will chime in if any problems with LB are noticed.
POI changing would cause some close in misses with an already tight pattern?
Shot rattlin loose in the shells changing pattern counts (no resin or not near enough)?

Need to go shake all the shells i have.
Pay attention to impact points when patterning, shoot multiple shells to check.
Dang most have good patterns too.

taylorjones20

That is strange and I have not noticed that while patterning with the LB's. But that is a killer MagBlend pattern!  If you need some magblends I've got some for sale in the classifieds...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

tman74

I've also had some POA vs POI experiences with Longbeards. I thought there was something wrong with my gun until I tried other shells and they were on the mark. I was using 3" #6's and I noticed on the centre of the pattern was between 4"-6" left. When I use Kentucky windage they were good but for our opening day tomorrow (can't wait) I'll be using some Fed Flight Control or Kent candlesticks I have instead just to be safe. The pattern the LB's throw is fantastic but they're also a little too tight for me at 20 yds or less.