Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

WOW... lead #6s huh ? got me to think'n.

Started by Fox Fire, March 22, 2011, 11:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Fire

I bought a 870 sps off of a gent back in teh fall and just got aruond to shoot'n it yesterday, I grabbed up a Win long brass #6 outta the box just to see if it would actually shoot, quikly stepped off 25 paces, raised the gun up just enuff to let both beads line up and let'er eat... man it suprised me how this round tore up my target, it was at close range but it done a number on the piece of tin.

Now I debate'n if I'm somewhat try'n to hard and spend'n to much money on all the "nesecities" needed to hunt turkeys, its like an awakening to how simple it should be,  Kinda think'n it would be a lot more fun to see if I can get Ol Tom close enuff to powder burn him with a plain old shot shell instead of the $30 a box stuff.

The challenge of get'n a bird that close, spend less, uncomplicated, up'n the fun factor...its got some serious appeal to me to be honest.

S.C.C

R AJ

Quote from: Fox Fire on March 22, 2011, 11:42:36 PM
I bought a 870 sps off of a gent back in teh fall and just got aruond to shoot'n it yesterday, I grabbed up a Win long brass #6 outta the box just to see if it would actually shoot, quikly stepped off 25 paces, raised the gun up just enuff to let both beads line up and let'er eat... man it suprised me how this round tore up my target, it was at close range but it done a number on the piece of tin.

Now I debate'n if I'm somewhat try'n to hard and spend'n to much money on all the "nesecities" needed to hunt turkeys, its like an awakening to how simple it should be,  Kinda think'n it would be a lot more fun to see if I can get Ol Tom close enuff to powder burn him with a plain old shot shell instead of the $30 a box stuff.

The challenge of get'n a bird that close, spend less, uncomplicated, up'n the fun factor...its got some serious appeal to me to be honest.
This morning I had three different birds at less tahn 10 steps. Think I worry about my 40 yard patterns? Not hardly. Number 6 lead would be more than enough for many of my birds.

dawei

Nothing wrong with usingPb! I've got two 20ga guns that will slay a gobbler while shooting lead out to 40yds. One shoots Winchester® Supreme® #4 and the other Remington® Nitro-Turkey® #5. These loads cost $11.99 and $6.99 respectively for ten rounds; much better than a 5 round box of Hevi•Shot® for $18.99! Compared to HTL loads I get twice as many rounds at 1/3 the cost. The money saved on ammo I can spend on gas and calls! ;D

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

jakesdad

I agree!!While I do have some Hevi shot for my 20 and they do pattern well out to 40,when I look at a turkey target at 40 yds i think good lands thats a long way to shoot at a turkey!!Not sayin it cant be done,i've done it a time or two and others do it quite regular.but for me the fun is gettin em close,and most places i hunt I cant see 40 yds let alone shoot that far.I think i'll probably stick with lead for both the 12 and 20 in the future,only exception is if I go on a out of state hunt where a 40 yard shot may be a real certainty,i'll load up the hevi.but for here in MO,lead will do the trick for me.with the winny supreme hv 3" 1 3/4 6's out of my 12 I get very adequate patterns(dont remember #'s)and with 3" 1 1/4 6 remington from my 20 i get around 140 in the 10" at 30,which is usually 5-10 yds farther than I shoot anyway.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Fox Fire

One of the places I plan on hunt'n was logged out a couple years ago & its get'n thick from everything start'n to grow back,  I figure it mit etake another year or so but it'll be so thich ya cant walk thru it & the hens will be use'n it for nest'n sites, wher thers hens thers gobblers.

You can see quite a ways since most of the trees are gone( they actually left quite a  few trees in patches...roost'n trees I'm hope'n) but once you sit down your visability aint far so I'm guess'n lead should be just fine, 30 yards or less would be about it.

snapper1982

Quote from: Fox Fire on March 22, 2011, 11:42:36 PM

buddy i spent my first 5 season using regular high brass number 6's.. i killed birds with them. i know quite a few guys that killed birds with low brass shells. just find your max range and stick to it

pdqt

Back in my younger days I met an older gent [he probably wasn't as old as I am now]  :lol: He was toting a 20 ga and said he was shooting low brass #8-- he said it don't take much to knock em over.  But it took about 40 yrs-- but now I am using a 20 ga and #8 shot!!! Ain't lead tho.  :happy0064:

SumToy

Guys you can roll a bird at 40 with the 12.00 a box lead.  Have had some guys do it at 45 yards.   You just find a good choke/shell combo for your gun.    Now with the 20ga I like to see the heavy stuff.  They will work better with it and you stay at the 40 yard mark and he is dead. :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA