Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Opening of Youth Season in Mississippi

Started by FullChoke, March 08, 2015, 09:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

My grandson, Kaelon, and I left the vehicle in the cold and dark Saturday morning and took off into the woods. Based on the info that I had gotten last weekend while scouting, I knew that we had a long walk to get to here we wanted to start. We started hearing gobbles at 5:16. Way too early. Altogether we heard 4 birds in all directions gobble about 30+ times. We waited for the gobblers that I knew were in our area to kick in to the chorus and they didn't disappoint us. Once I was sure that the closest gobbler was on the ground, I clucked loudly and he hammered right back at us. I told Kaelon that we now had a real turkey hunt going on. We carefully considered the area and picked a big pine tree near a stream to set up against. We sat watching for any movement for 40 minutes while listening to a lonely Tom on the other side of the stream tearing the woods up. We were just about to get up and boogie over to that other loud one, when we get a gobble right in front of us! I gave him 1 cluck and hurried to help Kaelon get turned and aiming right at where the gobble had come from. There was some brush in front of us and I couldn't tell which direction the bird was likely to come in. Seconds later I see the top of the strutting Monster Bird's fan at 20 yards over the brush to our left, on Kaelon's wrong side. By the time Kaelon could spot the bird and try to get his gun on him, this Giant figured out the lie we was perpetrating and vacated the scene kicking up leaves.

We sat for a while and talked about what had just happened. What went right and what went wrong. He was obviously disappointed at not getting that Monster Gobbler. I told him to look at it this way, we were able to have a front row seat on public land to the most spectacular wildlife show in this country, and what a show we had. I also gave him this note to consider. No one came away having lost anything today. We go home without a bird over our shoulder and that gobbler goes on having not lost his life. We can still come back another day, being that much wiser about the game, and try it all over again.

We spent the rest of the day in the woods at several other spots, but couldn't stir up any other action. It was a great day to be in the spring woods with my grandson and one that neither of us will forget for the rest of our lives.

Be Safe.   check
Have Fun.   check
Shoot Gobblers.  Thaaaat close!  ;)

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

gophert

Dude, my heart was beating fast just reading that!!!!  You better get back to those birds before someone else hears all the noise.

jakesdad

I tell Jacob when that happens consider it "catch and release" hunting.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

FullChoke

Quote from: jakesdad on March 08, 2015, 11:16:59 AM
I tell Jacob when that happens consider it "catch and release" hunting.
Whata perfect description. I may save that for the future. Thanks.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

surehuntsalot

I knew somehow, someway ya"ll would get in the thick of things
went listening this morning, heard 1, 1 time around 7:30
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

xarcher

DAYUM!!!!
Norman, that is so cool. Was your grandson all amped up up to the instant you got busted?  What I mean did you notice if he was shaking with excitement?  That is just as much fun to witness as sealing the deal.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

FullChoke

Quote from: xarcher on March 08, 2015, 02:05:18 PM
DAYUM!!!!
Norman, that is so cool. Was your grandson all amped up up to the instant you got busted?  What I mean did you notice if he was shaking with excitement?  That is just as much fun to witness as sealing the deal.
YES! I saw him vibrating and he started panting real hard. I whispered to him to take deep even breaths and to concentrate on any movement in front of us. He seemed to pull himself all together very well. I don't want to get ahead of anything here, but I believe that we may have another fledgling turkey hunter on our hands. I can totally live with that idea.

xarcher

I remember about 10 years ago with my nephew. We had one gobbling less than 10 steps behind us.  I remember his white knuckles shaking and I whispered to him to keep it together. Well next thing you know a hen walks in behind us (so close I heard her walking in wet leaves) and they proceed to walk off together up the mountain. He kept gobbling back to the hen deke in front of us as they walked off.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

kyhareraiser

fantastic story, you know your grandson now has s burning desire to blast that gobbler in the face. it's good sometimes they don't get the first bird if the year so they can practice what they slighted on, plus learn a new call or two  . best of all you both made memories that day and when he does kill a turkey from now on , that Saturday's memories will be right there with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Gregg