turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Youth opportunities

Started by FullChoke, March 04, 2015, 10:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

This Saturday is the opening of Turkey Season for youth here in MS and my 13 year old grandson and I will be out there after them again. I will be assuming the roles of gun-bearer, guide, naturalist, psychologist, jester, bird-caller and hopefully hugger, dancer and photographer. I look forward to spending time with him every chance we get to go hunting and fishing. He's a great young man that endures the often less-than-ideal conditions we face without a word of complaint.

Do you have a young man or woman that you love heading into the outdoors with?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

jakesdad

Heck ya!!!  Got 2 boys;ages 8 and 5. 8 year old has taken 2 deer and last fall killed his first 2 turkeys.Hoping to get him his first longbeard this spring. Little brother will probably tag along a time or two also. Both are ready to get after it!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

xarcher

Guys, you are lucky to have youths in the fold. My 3 kids are adults and not yet procreating.  Can't wait to enjoy that experience again. I have some friends with little ones that I have been able to put on turkeys now and then, but it is not the same as your own blood. In the mean time you all need to post pictures when you se the deal

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

jakesdad

Well Jacob really wanted to be part of the turkey team,so I told him when he kills a big ol' longbeard this year that I(or Fullchoke  ;D)will post up the pic and he can be part of the "team".

Nothing better than having 2 boys running around the house scratchin on slate calls and shooting their "practice guns" as they call them. When their mom asks them what they're doin they always say "we're practicing shooting turkeys in the face".Thats usually when I get this....... ::)

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

FullChoke

Woooo Buddy! The weather down here is cooperating and it now looks like Special K and I will have a crisp, beautiful sunrise with temps climbing into the 60's for the opening day of youth-turkey-guiding-season tomorrow.

Be Safe!
Have Fun!
Shoot Gobblers!

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

gophert

Ours opens March 28th and yes, me and Leah will be out chasing.  Each year I have asked her to take on more of a role when it comes to hunting.  From age 10-12, I allowed her to use a blind (see below).  Last year she had to learn to sit still and was not allowed to use the blind. This year I told her I would like to see her do more of the calling.  She has a box call and I will probably get her a glass pot call or something.  AND...I would like for her to field dress her own bird.  Still working on that one.