OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Virginia 2015

Started by forcercon1, March 01, 2015, 04:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossybird

Went out this morning and they were gobbling like crazy until they hit the ground. Im pumped for April 11th! A little windy but a good morning. 45-50 degrees. Mitchells, VA
  :fud: :OGturkeyhead:

Mazahoochi

Heard a lot of gobbling Sunday morning despite the 19 degree weather.  5 different birds on the roost and a couple after flying down.  Hens were real noisey too.

This morning was about 20 degrees warmer, but not a peep...

Selluwud

Put out a game camera this past weekend and got some good pictures of a few toms coming out of the woods and strutting for hens then later returning to the woods. 4/11 can't come soon enough.
5/4ths of people don't understand fractions

forcercon1

I went out Monday morning and didn't hear a peep. I did see a few hens in a field, but no gobblers with them. The morning was cool and windy. I am going out again Friday morning & afternoon in the hopes of locating something for Saturday morning / youth day.

I'll keep everyone posted if I get out before then and appreciate all the updates from others!

adamg

Heard several yesterday morning, probably 7-8.  This morning only heard 3 and they were miles outside of my hunting area.  35 degrees this morning, could have been why.  10 days ...

forcercon1

I took my son out for Youth day on Saturday and heard a single gobble. I went Sunday and heard nothing as well. I'm a little confused on what they might be doing, but hope it improves.

Is anyone else hearing anything?

Mazahoochi

Yeah, I don't have a whole lot of experience turkey hunting, and am trying to figure out how the weather is affecting how much they gobble.  Sunday the weather was beautiful and I could distinguish between at least 7 different birds gobbling their heads off on the roost.  Never heard it like that before, some years there just aren't any birds around where I'm at and I don't hear a single gobble all season.  This morning it was 60 degrees at 6:30 but overcast and a little drizzly and I heard just a single distant gobble until I hit the owl call and then heard another.

adamg

Cloudy and warm yesterday morning and they were quite vocal.  Enough to let me know where I need to be tomorrow morning.  This morning, foggy, cool, and overcast, and I only heard one and he was in another zip code.  Tomorrow should be good, 50's and sunny early.  They should rock.  Good luck!

ballyhoo

They were not real vocal this morning, heard only a few.  But there were more strutting in the fields around sussex co. than I have seen in the past 2 weeks. 

Doc Holliday

mid 40s , damp and raining on and off this am. heard 3 within a reasonable distance and others a ways off.  they  gobbled their heads off back and forth at daybreak for about 5 minutes . I heard one fly down and then not a peep other than the hens I heard afterwards..... it all died as quick as it started, nothing after that.  south central va.
Didn't realize when I chose my user name someone else had almost the same handle...

redmag

I have been hunting the NF just west of Woodstock, VA. and the gobblers are doing much.  They have gobbled some on the roost and then shut up.  Friday I heard one on the roost gobble twice and I went to him and set up at a safe distance to avoid being seen (the mt. is very open).  I never heard another sound.  I have been seeing hens on almost a daily basis.

forcercon1

Gobbling has slowed down a lot in my area of Southern VA.

Any reports in other areas?

adamg

Still hammering in central VA.  Killed one Monday(19.5#) and one yesterday(20 1/4#).  Have three that have been together the last five days in one area gobbling their fool heads off and I just can't seem to get in the right spot to wack one.  Think I have it nailed down now, we will see come Saturday.

357MAGNOLE

I have not heard a gobble in the last 2 weeks and over 20 hours in the field.  I think they are done here.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

BoneShaker_Custom_Calls

Went out this morning in the Suffolk VA. Area...Today was most Gobbling that I have heard all year,,They were Gobbling everywhere...Tried to set up on 3 different Tom's...Seen all 3 birds...couldn't get them to break away from their hens...They are still henned up and that unusual for this time of year...On the way out of my hunting area...I seen 4 Gobblers and 2 hens in a field that i can hunt...I glasses them...One was a real nice long beard ..The other 3 Gobblers were nice too...The Boss Tom was chasing the other 3 Gobblers trying to keep them away from his 2 hens...So with any luck...I'm going to set up a blind and put out a few Decoys in that field and soft call tomorrow...