turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Virginia 2015

Started by forcercon1, March 01, 2015, 04:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forcercon1

The weather has been horrible as of late, but I have managed to get out and scout some. On 2-22-15, I went out for a few hours and found a gang of 6 gobblers. On 2-28-15, I went to another farm and found 3 gobblers and a gang of 7 hens. Is anyone else seeing anything in VA.?   

cowhornyelper

Saw 12 old gobblers (8-12" beards) on Fri 2/27 in field with 22 younger birds, some young gobblers but mostly hens.  Gobblers were in full strut, but not gobbling.  Just seemed to be following the other group as they were feeding.  Still a lot of snow on the ground!  Turkeys had used this field so much that there are bare places where they have scratched and snow has melted some.
cowhornyelper

forcercon1

It's great to know others are seeing birds as well, especially young birds. The birds I saw were just feeding, no gobbling or strutting at this point, but I was encouraged for the upcoming spring. Good luck and safe hunting!

skimerhorn

Been seeing some in fields, but no strutting

jonhaga

Well, about 15 minutes ago I was outside loading truck to do a barn demo today.  And heard 2 gobblers, they gobbled 3 times a piece that I heard.

skimerhorn

Can't wait to hear my first gobble of 2015

forcercon1

The fields in my area are clear of snow and should start getting green soon.

I was out this weekend and saw a gang of 22 feeding in a field. The gang had 5 gobblers in it.

Vaturkeyhntr

went out for the first time this morning to listen..ended up listening to one gobble pretty good while in the tree.

forcercon1

I went this morning and did not hear any gobbling. I did see a small gang in a field on the way home from work. I'm about 60-65 miles South East of Richmond.

Mazahoochi

Heard one gobble 3 or 4 times this morning while letting the chickens out!  Pretty relieved cause it's been a couple months since I've seen any turkeys or any sign near my place.

forcercon1

I was out this morning but did not hear anything. The morning was raining / cloudy. Did anyone else make it out / hear anything?

Mazahoochi

Saw one yesterday morning off the side of Rt 29 at a stoplight all fanned out strutting in a small clearing with 8 or 9 hens.  4 lanes of traffic didn't seem to bother him.

strutnva

Been out the last two mornings with nothing to show.  Plenty hens around and some jakes just haven't seen any longbeards or heard any.

forcercon1

I saw a few in the field about mid-morning. They were too far for me to identify if they were hens or gobblers. 

Vaturkeyhntr

Heard 8 this morning.  Also watched 3 strut together for 2 hens.