turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

835 choke suggestions

Started by Mossy517, March 22, 2011, 02:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy517

I have a Star-Dot now that I am thinking about giving a break or possibly selling to fund a new choke.

If you guys could have one choke restriction what would it be? I want to be able to kill a bird at 50 if need be but not be too tight at closer ranges that I miss because of it. i kow its not all about the restriction, so I should ask who makes a choke with restriction and internals that will be a good all around choke?

William @ Sumtoy showed me a pattern from a 935 that was shot with a .680 that looked real good @30yrds, with lead. What do ya think?
HuntingPA... Lacaster, York, Perry and Centre counties

archery1

.675 Indian Creek  OR A .670 PURE GOLD LOOKS TO BE THE BEST SO FAR
Take a kid hunting

Mossy517

I would love to give Sumtoy , my business. I might go for a .675 that would split the .670-.680. Happy medium I guess.

Sumtoy, any pics of a .675 out of a mossy?

neohiohunter

I have a PG. 670 for my 835. I was advised to go that route with no disappointments. However I do have a. 676 star dot on the way. Will post patterns when I get them

ILIKEHEVI-13

I have found that .675 seems to be a great exit diameter to start with on the 835's.  I recently added a .670 Tru-Glo SSX.  I am in the process of having Indian Creek make me a .670 to go along with my .675 Indian Creek choke.  The Star Dot I have is .676 and it shoots very well.  But I would stay within this range.  But a .680 or .690 choke will work, too.  I had a Jelly Head .690 and it shot well, but not as tight as these tighter chokes will. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I will tell you that at 20yds, the difference between a .670 and a .690 ain't going to be much.  Both are going to throw super tight patterns.  The key is to aim small miss small.  I like to set up and not let a bird get right on top of me in the first place.  I like toasting my birds before they even get to 30yds.  

bowhunter84

a rhino .670 would be a good choice also :icon_thumright:

drum817

If your already talking to William at SumToy....then go ahead and give him a try...he will work with you until your happy !!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

sugarray

Why are you wanting to make a change?  That Star Dot is usually a great pattern throwing choke.

knightrider

pg 670 in my 835 putting 205-220 in the 10 at 40 with the 3in magblends :z-guntootsmiley:

SumToy

Quote from: Mossy517 on March 22, 2011, 03:09:18 PM
I would love to give Sumtoy , my business. I might go for a .675 that would split the .670-.680. Happy medium I guess.

This was just the other day with Hv-13 7's at 40yards.  We will have one in the shop tomorrow to test with the big loads.   I will post numbers after we try the nitros.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

goblr77

Mossy517, if your Star Dot is a .676 and you sell it you will regret it. You can spend a bunch of money trying to get other chokes to hang with it.

afoshie

ill help ya make that decision ill give ya 50 for that star dot just pm me if your interested
then you can go buy ya a choke

sugarray

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the choke then.  You could have had a single, bad shell for some reason.  I hand load and do everything the same every time, but during the same patterning session last year I had a 290 and then a 170.  Don't have any idea what happened, but something came together for a poorer pattern in that one shell.  Still great to kill turkeys.  Also, there is some concern with the newest runs of the Hevi #7s, so you may just be seeing what everyone else is seeing with their shells this year.

Mossy517

Quote from: SumToy on March 22, 2011, 09:02:42 PM
Quote from: Mossy517 on March 22, 2011, 03:09:18 PM

This was just the other day with Hv-13 7's at 40yards.  We will have one in the shop tomorrow to test with the big loads.   I will post numbers after we try the nitros.

That look great William, I would be more than happy with that.