turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What type of call and why?

Started by Marc, February 28, 2015, 02:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Calling is one of the most enjoyable and satisfying aspects of turkey hunting for me...  I got into turkey hunting some years back, and took a long hiatus...  Recently I have acquired some area to turkey hunt (although the area I currently live is far less productive with far fewer birds), and have come to look forward to hunting each spring...

Being a duck hunter, I was accustomed to calling, and started with a box call, and quickly evolved into a diaphragm call...  I will not win any turkey calling contests, but I have become reasonably proficient on these calls.

I gave slate calls a run, but all of the surfaces as well as the strikers seems an overwhelming task to learn...  Plus as far as friction calls, to my ear, a box call is louder and produces a more realistic sound.

At my current level and understanding of calls, I currently favor a good box call and a variety of diaphragm calls...

• Advantages  of a diaphragm call are realism and lack of movement.
  • Advantages of a box call are volume, ease of use, and the ability to induce a gobble when other calls do not.

What are some of the advantages or things you guys like about other calls such as:
1) Tube calls
2) Slate/pot calls
3) Wingbone/trumpet calls
4)Trough calls
5) Any other calls I missed

I enjoy this forum as a learning and sharing media, and would enjoy any insight to something I might be missing out on...  So what calls do you all use and why???

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

born2hunt

By slate I assume you are meaning Pot calls in general. With that said, to me they have several strong points. Depending on surface and striker used they are great on wet days. And to me once mastered can produce some of the most realistic soft purs and clucks made but can still be cranked up to strike birds at far. You can carry one pot and several strikers and really have multiple calls. They're also fairly small and compact to carry. Just my  :z-twocents:
All I use are diaphragms and pot calls. 
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

M Sharpe

I judge every call, whether it be a box, pot or wingbone or trumpet, as to how softly it will play...not how load it will play. The softer ones get my vote!!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Gooserbat

I've not found any type of calls that were bad.  Now all calls have there strong point and weakness.  That said confidence is the key when calling.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Marc

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 28, 2015, 05:49:25 PM
I've not found any type of calls that were bad.  Now all calls have there strong point and weakness.  That said confidence is the key when calling.

Yes, but I would assume that each call has advantages and disadvantages over others...

As a call-maker, I would be really interested in what you consider the advantages and disadvantages of different types of calls...  What would make you pick up a box call or a pot call over a diaphragm call?

I understand that part of it is just the plain fun of using a different call though...

(And I am looking forward to receiving the 3 diaphragm calls I ordered from you last week; I talked to you while you were on the road).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Bowguy

In my opinion everyone should learn mouth calls for obvious reasons, plus a its a learned skill and that's reason enough. As a kid it was almost all I used. Box calls to me are great "beginner" calls. That's not saying they're for beginners but the beginner can prob get the best yelp from one. The yelp most likely has killed more turkeys than any other sound. But, most beginners find it hard to cluck, cut, cackle, purr or kee kee. It's partially because of the box they most likely chose but that's besides the point. Another disadvantage is they're a pia to keep quiet. To me that's too much "maintenance". A better beginner call if the Hunter is inclined to practice. The average person can do lots on a pot call in short order. They're aresenal in a sense fuller quicker. Save for the kee kee. Lots have problems here but it's the best starting point.
You wanna know what my opinion of the best call is though, it's the one ol Tom is gobbling at. Also depends on what you need to accomplish. Best part of turkey hunting is running calls.
I typically start the morning off w a call tucked in my cheek for use when needed and a pot call on my lap.
Box calls make great fly ups when roosting n that's when I use them

mgm1955

Quote from: M Sharpe on February 28, 2015, 05:14:24 PM
I judge every call, whether it be a box, pot or wingbone or trumpet, as to how softly it will play...not how load it will play. The softer ones get my vote!!!
Agree completely. Soft calling kills birds.

Gooserbat

Quote from: Marc on February 28, 2015, 05:59:21 PM
Quote from: Gooserbat on February 28, 2015, 05:49:25 PM

Yes, but I would assume that each call has advantages and disadvantages over others...

As a call-maker, I would be really interested in what you consider the advantages and disadvantages of different types of calls...  What would make you pick up a box call or a pot call over a diaphragm call?

I understand that part of it is just the plain fun of using a different call though...

(And I am looking forward to receiving the 3 diaphragm calls I ordered from you last week; I talked to you while you were on the road).

What ever call you believe in most is the call to start with, and what ever call the tom responds to is the best at that given time.  I'm not trying to be a know it al . But just stating facts.  Become proficient with as many calls as you can.  You will find some calls you connect with as a caller, but be prepared for when the bird in question doesn't.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ferocious calls

The more I play my boxes the better I like them. I had been stopping at my camp each day during trapping season to warm up and eat lunch. One day when things were slow I picked up a sycamore box that rode in my vest last spring. I became sort of addicted to playing it each day. Kee kees', purrs, tree yelps, cackels, cutting, clucks, yelps and clucks. I mean to the point that I may need an intervention. LOL I don't dare take it home or production would surely suffer. It has already caused me to be late. lol

The more it gets played the better it sounds. Hence, practice is the key to any call a guy chooses.

Ringbill

Marc, I also favor mouth calls, but I favor pot calls over box calls. We have a lot of humidity here and box calls are harder to keep dry IMO. The last Osceola I killed I turned back after he passed by, after I switched mouth calls- the second had a distinct different tone and he must have like it. Just like duck hunting, I have learned that quality is better than quantity- these birds down here generally don't respond to aggressive callilng...I call sparingly and try to be as demure as possible.  :angel9: