OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

? about mounting holosight

Started by 4nwtf, February 08, 2011, 11:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4nwtf

I am considering a ff or mueller.  My 870 is not tapped.  Would I be better to use a b square or have it drilled and tapped?  Also, I tried a scope and hated it.  I went back to the old faithful tru glo magnum gobble dot.  Not convinced I would like it but I am seriously considering it. 

EMSDJ2

My 870 wasn't drilled and I bought a b-square saddle mount for my slug scope.  When I started turkey hunting I just bought a 2nd saddle for my red dot to make conversion quicker.  Swapped them out plus barrels  5 different times to check pattern and everytime it came back so zero.  However I still recommend shooting at least one test shot every time you convert if you use the gun for deer and turkey like I used too.  Hope this helps ya.

Scooter

PureGold

I prefer ther saddler option myself. B-sqaure make a saddle that you can see under as well if the batteries die in your holo sight. The direct mount is the nicest looking but I prefer the saddle.

***Warning*** you are going to get a lot of opinions on this one! I would do whatever make you feel best.

Skeeterbait

Drilling and tapping does look cleaner but both work well. 

GeorgeShu

For years I had a red dot scope mounted on a saddle on my 870.  Recently decided to go with the FF 2.  I mounted it in the saddle but decided I wanted a cleaner profile and a lower silhouette so I took the gun to the local gunsmith and he drilled and tapped it to receive a short rail upon which the FF sets.  Its about 1/2 inch lower than the saddle, eliminates a small amount of weight, looks great and when I mount the gun plus the sighting line is much more comfortable.

Jbird22

I recently bought a SpeadBeed and I love everything about it except for the mount for the 870. I had a time with mine but finally got it mounted correctly. I like the thought of being able to still see my beads IF something were to happen to the sight itself. It seems like the more popluar choice here is for the FF to be mounted on a rail (drilled and tapped) though.

I haven't shot it yet but I plan to early next week when the temps warm up a bit.

BurrisOptics

The 870, 1187, and the 1100 models are bit tricky especially if you have a synthetic stock.  The wood stocks go together much easier. 

Jbird22

Quote from: BurrisOptics on February 10, 2011, 02:57:33 PM
The 870, 1187, and the 1100 models are bit tricky especially if you have a synthetic stock.  The wood stocks go together much easier.  

Yep, mine has a synthetic stock. It was pretty aggravating but if I would've had my Dremel at home with me instead of at work I would have made it a lot more easy. So instead of waiting til the next day to get my Dremel my impatience got the best of me and I ended up doing it the hard way. It went together ok and seems pretty dang solid. Now I can't wait to try it out.