OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Building a call to kee on!

Started by Uchee creek gobblers, February 25, 2015, 04:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uchee creek gobblers

I've been racking my brain and building many calls trying to find that perfect kee call. I can't kee on a ghost cut and need some advice on building a call to kee kee with.
ALABAMA NOGGIN' KNOCKER

ZachH28

Try a three reed (.004 over 2 proph) combo cut stretched between 160 and 180. I have never been able to kee kee well with a ghost cut. Combo cuts and batwings tend to work best for me.

GED6531

Try using a boss cut. Stretch the reeds higher than you usually would to get a higher pitch.

Gooserbat

Quote from: GED6531 on February 25, 2015, 10:39:12 PM
Try using a boss cut. Stretch the reeds higher than you usually would to get a higher pitch.

This.  I would say two yellow stretched about .150 plus.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

I guess I must have missed a bit of the terminology in my mouth calling past.  What exactly is a "boss" cut,...I've never heard that term used before?

GED6531

A boss cut has 2 small vertical slits; one on each side of call. I leave a small amount of latex between the cut and the side of the frame. I tried to post a picture but can't get it to work

GED6531

GobbleNut

Okay, I get it,....I assume it's called that because that is the design used for the "old boss hen" call from QB...?

Gooserbat

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 28, 2015, 12:05:08 AM
Okay, I get it,....I assume it's called that because that is the design used for the "old boss hen" call from QB...?

Yep...boss cut or boss hen cut. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 28, 2015, 12:13:12 AM
Quote from: GobbleNut on February 28, 2015, 12:05:08 AM

Yep...boss cut or boss hen cut.

...just didn't realize it had been shortened to just being called a boss cut,...I need to catch up with the newest nomenclature, I guess...  :D