OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Browning BPS Invector Plus 26" Barrel - Turkey Choke/shell combo???

Started by dcbuckslayer, February 24, 2015, 11:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcbuckslayer

Good morning guys,
New to this forum but not new to the forum setup...Long story short I have a Browning BPS Invector Plus 26" barrel and am looking for a turkey choke/shell combo that will provide decent results.  I am pretty novice when it comes to turkey hunting and haven't put one on the ground yet, normally I go with my father in law and he manages to get a bird every year but when it comes to my season, as stated above, a few jakes and a lot of frustration.  This year I'm trying a new spot and going out on my own, I can get birds to answer my calls so I think I'm on the right track.  My father in law lives an hour away so I figured it was time to get the BPS rigged up for thunder chickens.

Primarily the gun is used for pheasants and I put lead thru it, not sure if that makes a difference, I searched your site extensively and see guys are deep cleaning and polishing barrels when patterning.  I see some use Pure Gold .660 and .670, .660 for #6's and 7's?  Also I see guys are using Jellyheads and Indian Creek.  Any info would be most helpful, I don't want to spend a ton of money testing choke/shell combos when I spend one weekend on the hunt per year (I concentrate blowing all my money on bow season).  I'm thinking of going the 3" route and I see Hevi-13 2oz. #6's are popular but whatever you guys think.  My season is the end of April so I would like to take care of this asap.  Hopefully it'll warm up here soon in WI and we won't have birds dropping dead frozen out of the roost like last year!

Thanks everyone!  You guys have a great site here!

packmule

Welcome to the site. 

I shoot a 26" Invector + BPS. It is a great turkey gun.  I've had very good results with several loads using a SSX choke tube.  I'd highly recommend that choke tube if you're looking at shooting a variety of loads for turkey hunting.

However last year I started shooting Winchester Longbeards (#4) through a Hastings .680 choke tube.  That combo patterned very very well.  If you were looking to duplicate that combo I see that Carlson's sells a similar choke.

For what it's worth, the Longbeards shot very well in all of my chokes so you may want to start with those loads before making any major investments in chokes.

Good luck!

dcbuckslayer

Mule,
Thanks for the response, I am fine with just using one type of shell and not using a variety through the gun. 

Bowhunting, I get birds coming into me around 40 to 60 yards without even calling so is there a shot size recommended around that range?  I see most people pattern at 40 which is fine by me...

Like I said in the original post I'm just looking for a solid choke, solid shell, take a few shots at a paper plate and call it a day.  I'm approaching turkey hunting much like I did bow hunting, start out with something that'll get the job done and then move up once I get serious....The good thing about a choke is that they are relatively inexpensive (when compared to the price of a bow), I just didn't want to get a few chokes and next thing you know I'm into turkey hunting a few hundred bucks without a clue of why my gun is acting the way it is. 

I was hoping to narrow down my options on here before "pulling the trigger" so to speak.  If anyone else has a successful combo for my gun I'm all ears...Thanks!

allaboutshooting

I've had a number of BPS guns over the years and currently own 2. The 26" barrel is just about perfect, in my experience, and all it will ever need is a good "deep cleaning" http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282 Browning makes some of the best production shotgun barrels on the market.

I shoot 3" shells for hunting and in competition. I will shoot 3.5" shells for evaluations but really see no need for them for turkeys.

The Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot are my first choice but the 3" WLB shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 lead shot are also quite good and very popular, so they are widely available.

The Browning design engineer for the Invector+ barrels recommends a .640 turkey choke for use with #6 shot and I've found the SSX with an e.d. of .643 to work exceptionally well. It's also very reasonably priced for a premium quality turkey choke. Another excellent choice is the limited production Wright's #3 turkey choke with a .650 e.d.

Whatever choke and shell you choose, you have an excellent shotgun that will serve you well in the turkey woods.

Lastly, I hunted for 3 years before I shot my first turkey. Like you, I'd hunted with a more experienced hunter for the first 2 years and on the 3rd year, I struck out on my own. That made it even more special to get my first bird that year.

Good luck to you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

stinkpickle

I've settled in with a Pure Gold .670 and H13 3/2/6's.  I might be able work up something better, but I'll spend my money on other stuff.

mudhen

Lots of chokes will work fine with the BPS.

I've successfully used IC in .665, but my BPS 24" bbl prefers the Pure Gold .660 with #6's or smaller...

3" or 3.5" H-13 #6's are my main shell...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

zeke632

I have a 26" BPS and use an Indian Creek .665
The Hevi Shot Blends are  really good in my gun but I used Long Beard #6s last year and will agian this year. The LB's are not quite as good on paper at 40yds but plenty good enough to kill turkeys.

dcbuckslayer

Thanks for all the reply's everyone...I decided to go with the SSX .643 and ordered 2 boxes of Hevi-13 2oz. #6's....Next step is looking into cleaning the barrel, I've read up on it a little and watched multiple youtube videos, looks like everyone has their own method of doing things!  Thanks again guys, once the weather warms up I'll be patterning, can't wait!

mossyhorn9

I shoot the #6 Hevi-13 with the Hevi shot choke and am very happy.

mossyhorn9