OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Diaphram Mouth Call for Beginner

Started by clfergus, February 24, 2015, 09:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clfergus

I have a couple of old calls I got free with a buck knife and I bought a primos sonic dome call. I have been practicing a little and seem to be struggling with the sonic dome. The flatter calls seem to produce more of a yelp for me.

Just curious.... I see all kinds of names, slits in the calls. Just curious is there is a brand and then the name/slits of the call that is easier for a beginner.

Spring Creek Calls

I believe a double reed call with no cuts is a great beginner call. Seems like Quaker Boy makes one called the Beginners Double, but any will do. Throw the sonic dome in the trash.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

TauntoHawk

Order a few different cuts from Hooks custom calls, they are cheap, excellent quality and really easy to blow. in general start on 2 reed calls before going for 3 and 4 reed versions as they will be easier to blow. Hooks make some 2.5 reeds that blow super easy as well. If you call instead of order online they will help get you pointed in the right direction.

Another personal favorite is call Lyle with Houndstooth

For me the no cut versions never made any good turkey sounds while I was trying to learn and I did much better with 2 reed V cut to start.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MikeStaten

QuoteOrder a few different cuts from Hooks custom calls, they are cheap, excellent quality and really easy to blow. in general start on 2 reed calls before going for 3 and 4 reed versions as they will be easier to blow. Hooks make some 2.5 reeds that blow super easy as well. If you call instead of order online they will help get you pointed in the right direction.

Another personal favorite is call Lyle with Houndstooth

For me the no cut versions never made any good turkey sounds while I was trying to learn and I did much better with 2 reed V cut to start.

2nd this.

Hooks make an orange call, I think its the Persuader, it is pretty easy to run. 

born2hunt

Agree on the 2 reed V cut. And hooks are easy to run.
I consider myself fair with a mouth call and a buddy got a couple of those sonic domes on clearance and gave me one. Hardest call I've ever ran..Toss it and move on.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Marc

Quote from: born2hunt on February 24, 2015, 09:08:27 PM

I consider myself fair with a mouth call and a buddy got a couple of those sonic domes on clearance and gave me one. Hardest call I've ever ran..Toss it and move on.

I had the same experience...  I will not be winning any calling contests, but I can make the basic turkey sounds with almost any mouth call...  I could make that dome call run, but it was certainly a struggle...  I pitched mine in the trash almost immediately.

I would also agree with Spring Creek Calls and/or TauntoHawk that a straight double-reed or a V-cut double would be easy calls to learn on... 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Britton40

Gooserbat

A 2 reed corner notch like my Classic Hen.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TRKYHTR

I agree with Sam. 2 reed with corner notches.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

okiegobblers

Bowguy

donjuan

I would recommend sadler mcgraws 2.5 reed ghost cut
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

clfergus

Ordered a classic hen and bacon call from Gooserbat today. Thinking about trying the Hooks calls as well.

Bowguy

Swampchickin234