Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Hunting Tip: Pre-season Cardio & PT Workout

Started by bamagtrdude, February 24, 2015, 07:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

Well, HERE is a tip that most turkey hunters don't want to hear -- pre-season physical conditioning workouts...

YEP, believe it or not, I actually "train" before the start of turkey season...  Around these parts, it is HILLY & rough terrain, and what I've discovered is if I'm not ready for it, I'll quickly give out of gas & head to the house; turkey hunt OVER...

So, what do I recommend?  Well, do this workout twice a week (at a minimum):

IN THE LEAST, you need to be doing 15 minutes of fairly heavy cardio -- jogging, elliptical machine, biking, swimming, whatever -- but go pretty good @ 60-80% effort to get your breathing/heart rate up...  In 15 minutes, you SHOULD cover a mile (on the ground)...  Then, I do what I call the "Big 3 Stretches" -- stretch your calves, your quads, and your hamstrings (look-up stretches on Google for how to do that)...  If you don't stretch regularly, you'll get cramps runnin'-n-gunnin' through the woods...  Then, the final workout -- push-ups!  I typically do 3 sets of 30 reps with a minute rest in between, BUT ...  DO WHAT YOU CAN!!  The idea here is -- you shoot the bird of a lifetime & now you've got to carry 25-30 lbs about a 1/2 mile out of the woods -- are you ready for that??  :) 

(try this: fill a backpack with 20 lbs of something, zip it up tight, and grab the straps & sling it over your back & walk a half-mile)...

So, let's get busy guys -- get on in there & get your body ready for the season...  And, oh, BTW -- the cardio REALLY helps your mouth calling skills -- just trust me on that -- it gives you more "breath" and air to push that mouth call & bring out those raspy calls!!

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)