OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Handmade Box Calls

Started by hunter22, February 23, 2015, 09:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnrut

See above: Handmade (built one at a time with or without electrial tools)

Milling out the bore is just a high tech drill. Taking out small amount of wood on each pass. Leaving a cleaner and smoother bore. You must turn the handle>
CNC is even higher tech requiring you to enter into a program what wood you want removed from the block.  The machine does the dirty work.
I don't own either my wife is to cheap to let me buy one.  :TooFunny:

Keep in mine that not ever call blank will make a good call, some want even make a call at all. An all calls must still be tuned by the callmaker. The problem with productions calls is quality control. Some companies only look at the bottom line (profit). They cut into profit when they start culling out the bad calls. That's why most have went to some form of plastic and the cheapest wood they could find.

hunter22

Thanks Richard. Excellent explanation even I can understand.

mgm1955

Quote from: M Sharpe on February 24, 2015, 08:01:28 AM
If you had a tree in your yard that needed cutting down, would you use:

A) an axe

B) a cross-cut saw

C) a chainsaw

So, you are saying some guys hollow out the entire trough of the box with just a chisel, start to finish? How do they keep the grain from running and gouging deeper into the sides??

I don't really care how a guy gets the meat out of a call. The call still has to be tuned. I have played some that I thought were just hollowed out, lid screwed on and called a turkey call though. You ever thought about the reason a Gibson looks the way it does?  Pretty simple looking because it is one of the oldest calls. I've seen a few calls that were totally hand made and I can assure you they did not have the quality of sound that we enjoy today. Mabe one of the reasons you don't see that series of holes in the bottom of the call is tha call maker has ground that point off his forstner bit because it's not needed in a drill press. Many that I know use a drill press, bandsaw, table saw, sanders, cordless drills and a series of jigs to make their calls. After hollowing out the inside with the bits, then the chisel is used to reome the excess.

Wonder how they get the correct radius on those lids without flat spots in them???
Quote from: strutnrut on February 24, 2015, 01:47:53 PM
Who hand chisels out their box calls now days.  ??? Is this a thread about CNC vs. Calls built one at a time with some tools, ie. drill, sander, planner and does the term handmade include CNC cut boxes.
This is one of those question that comes out every year about this time.  :deadhorse:

Calls build one at a time or a call that has been cut on a CNC machine it's a personal preference. I consider my calls handmade with the help of some equipment. Some equipment electrial some not.  I try not to get bend around the apple tree over the term handmade.
If I had to define calls IMHO; There really is 4 type of calls
OLD Calls (built completely by hand with rasp, chisels and handsaw) very old mostly
Handmade (built one at a time with or without electrial tools)
CNC (set of measurement and number developed by the callmaker feed into a automated machine to produce a specific unfinished shape/box)
Mass Produced (machine or machines designed to perform all step of manufacturing with minial labor) 
Why does this matter and what is this debate really about? Do we as turkey hunters use the latest technology in guns, ammo, optics, camo, motor vehicles, etc. to hunt as opposed to a spear or bow and arrow as our only weapons? If a callmaker uses one piece of modern equipment in building his calls versus only hand tools is the call not handmade? If they buy lumber pre-cut instead of cutting down a tree and milling it with hand tools, is it not hand made? I'm not sure what the point of this discussion is about? I think it has run it's course and served no real purpose. The only thing I care about is whether or not the turkeys think the calls I have sound like a turkey. In the end that should be all any of us are concerned with.

strutnrut

You are correct mgm. As long as a callmaker tunes the box to kill turkeys the I don't seperate the didn't class of calls. I like the personal touch a callmakers add to the call. Never seen a machine sign a call in ink. 
Did Piccaso paint with his fingers NO,
Did he paint with a brush Yes,
Why, because he didn't have a Spraygun.  :TooFunny:

mgm1955

pappy

Me.....I have a box made back in the 40's and box calls made in 2015....they both kill birds....of course the older one is faded and worn with some dried out resin on the paddle, the issue has been discussed and cussed so many times over the years, I think we should recognize the artisan's craft either way.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

mgm1955

Old Gobbler

The boat paddle call Neil Cost showed me in 1990?   , he used a drill to hull out the base with , that call had no spring on the lid -

I think some of the mass produced calls like primos etc use a cnc , that's the only way to offer them affordably ,

All of the zinks and rnt duck and goose calls are cnc , but they are tuned in a special room by trained personal those are $150 and up ,

Custom is a loose term in call making , it's like the term "free" in cell phone minutes , it can mean anything

It's a business folks

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Trumpetyelper

In my personal opinion call makers should use nothing but there FINGERNAILS.  In my opinion using tools is for WIMPS!!!  And when your fingernails get too short to utilize then you should resort to mother natures second line of defense, TEETH.  That's my definition of handmade.  If it's not done that way then it's not a turkey call, and whomever owns a call that isn't prepared in this manner should label it BASTARD and send it to my house for disposal. 

strutnrut

Quote from: Trumpetyelper on February 25, 2015, 03:05:45 PM
In my personal opinion call makers should use nothing but there FINGERNAILS.  In my opinion using tools is for WIMPS!!!  And when your fingernails get too short to utilize then you should resort to mother natures second line of defense, TEETH.  That's my definition of handmade.  If it's not done that way then it's not a turkey call, and whomever owns a call that isn't prepared in this manner should label it BASTARD and send it to my house for disposal.

GOOD TRY  :TooFunny:

ericjames

Let me start off by saying I'm not a call maker. But I built 4 box calls last year just playing around. It would be good for everyone to build at least one box call in there life by hand. I mean the only tools that was used were forester bits with a drill press to take the bulk of wood out. Table saw to shape the box up and cut out the lid. If everyone would make at least one they would have a lot more respect for call makers. I know mine probably look like junk. They sound good enough to kill an old gobbler though. This is a pic of the only one I have left. I gave the others to close friends and family members.

ericjames

I carved the remaining inside of the box out with wood chisel and pocket knife.

.jpg[/IMG]

Hillbilly yelper

Tim
New email: lmurdock@k12.wv.us

hunter22

That is definitely "Old School" and one end of the spectrum. Nice job. I know that took lots of time to make.

ericjames

Quote from: Hillbilly yelper on February 25, 2015, 08:08:21 PM
Ericjames....awesome job!

Thanks, I'm gonna try to make a few this year out of ceder. It's fun messing with it, I know mine don't look good but hopefully with time they will look better. I want to try and make 2 or 3 every year if I can.