turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who names their guns?

Started by Beretta686, March 21, 2011, 10:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beretta686

It has become a tradition to get a name for a shotgun. It always seems to be the turkey guns and my friends usually give them their names. Years ago before they made turkey specific guns I wanted a small short barrel gun. I had an 870 special field that I painted and got an old turkey tube. It worked great and killed a lot of turkeys my friend named it "The Kickin' Chicken" it was so light it wasn't made for 3" but I changed the barrel so it would shoot 3"shells. When I retired it from the turkey woods I had it refinihed and re blued. I put the original barrel on it and use it to shoot quail every now and then.

Some time in the mid 90's I bought a BPS 10g. I cut the barrel down to 26". When you shoot it in low light it looks like a bomd from a B-52 landed next to you. A friend named it "Rolling Thunder" that's the name that stuck. It only comes out when I know I am hunting a field or pasture. It has also been called "The Waterfowl Widow Maker" it does the work on geese in AR and resident canadians around here.

Then came "Little Mule" it was the first true turkey gun. I won it at the NWTF banquet. It is an 870 NWTF gun camo with fiber optic sights. I added a com-n-choke and that was a turkey killin machine. I wounded it and bulged the barrel shootin HS when it first came out not knowing not to shoot it through too tight of a choke. I bought a new barrel and went back to shooting lead. I had to add a cheek-eez pad to raise the point of impact. It was a turkey killin machine. I added a halo sight to it the last coupe of years.

Then came the challenge, a friend was looking at a super duper turkey gun and I told him he didn' need to spend that money we could build one of his. He didn't believe me and bought the gun anyway. I said I can pimp one out and be even better. I rooted around in the safe and found an old mossburg 500. Wood stock long barrel and just been sitting there. I bought a knox recoil reduction pistol grip stock, cut the barrel, lengthened the forcing cones, ported the barrel, after different tubes I settled on the kicks. A friend and I painted it in his garage. When it was all done he said that thing looks "Wicked" he went inside cut out a stencil and paiinted "Wicked" on the solid side of the reciever. Oh yeah I moved the halo sight to her. Then a couple of years ago I added a scope. Wicked was born the spring of 2006. She is a turkey killin fool.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

BowBendr

My camo 835 is named "Bertha".

njdevilsb

I call mine "The 870" or "The 535".

I hate turkeys

My BPS 10 I called  "Death Ray" because of the range it has, my deer rifle is "Gracie"  it just say's goodnight.
Still looking for a name for the SP10.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

S.C.C

OLE BETSY the BPS 10.....She just turned 20 years old and still a doll!! :lol:

chrisun

John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.

VAHUNTER

i do not name my guns. but i have a certain few that i consider family lol.
i have a ole M77 3006 that i bought when i was in my teens. 8 years ago i had it tore down to the bolt and reciever and had a custom rifle built.

5-shots at 100yds

here is a pic of my 835. it is another one that will always have a home
Good things come to those who wait

bowhunter84

all of my favorite guns get called ol' betsy.

hookedspur

I just call them by the model number as well.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

FANMAN

When I first starting shooting my Encore,It named itself...Snot Knocker....My 11-87 is The Stud Muffin,and my Ithaca Turkeyslayer is The Lighting Rod

gun for hire

My 835 goes by the handle of "Thor's Hammer."

sugarray

I haven't but after reading this thread, She is "Queen Bee".  Because she sends out and angry swarm of TSS #8s after those turkey heads.  My load is named "Green Hornet"

bird

OK guys.... Let me remind you all that I had to clean this thread up some because of some implied language.  Remember now this is a "family" site and we all need to abide by the site rules especially when it comes to the language that we use or imply to use.  It is difficult for me at times also because I am probably one of the worse potty mouths known to man, but if I can do it, so can you.  Please remember that there are young viewers on OG and not every parent wants their child reading vulgarities or implied vulgarities.

Thank You

bird

"OG is maintained to a standard that allows your young children to log onto here and see nothing offensive." 

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,8.0.html 

stinkpickle

Quote from: bird on March 22, 2011, 12:15:15 PM
OK guys.... Let me remind you all that I had to clean this thread up some because of some implied language.  Remember now this is a "family" site and we all need to abide by the site rules especially when it comes to the language that we use or imply to use.  It is difficult for me at times also because I am probably one of the worse potty mouths known to man, but if I can do it, so can you.  Please remember that there are young viewers on OG and not every parent wants their child reading vulgarities or implied vulgarities.

Thank You

bird

"OG is maintained to a standard that allows your young children to log onto here and see nothing offensive." 

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,8.0.html 

The new name will be "Maternal Fornicator".   :D

stinkpickle

Meet Jack Johnson and Tom O'Leary!