OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help #2 latex thickness and layering

Started by jwhunter, February 18, 2015, 05:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhunter

I'd like to hear your advice on latex thickness and layering 2 and 3 reed calls.

so let's say I am making a 3 reed call...are you using the same thickness for each reed or are you using a specific thickness for the top reed like .004 and using .003 for the second and third reed. I know I need to experiment with what will work best for me but some help would be nice before I waist a bunch of material. i am very green when it come to call making.

thanks
John

GobbleNut

(I put this in the general forum topic, as well....)

Combinations of .003 and proph (.0025) seem to consistently work best for me and for those I make calls for.  The thicker latex never seems to produce the same sound quality, although I am sure there are callers out there that prefer .004 and thicker.  For the "average caller", however, I think using .003 and proph combinations is the way to start off.  You should plan on experimenting with the thicker latex though,...just to see how it works for you. 

I like .003 layering for both two and three-reed calls with reed backsets of 1/8" +-.  .003 over proph can be just as good.  Reed cuts are equally or more important, as well.  Keep your cuts to the longest (sound) reed initially.  Also, I suggest moving your reed cuts to different locations along the reed when cutting your calls to find your "sweet spot". 

jwhunter

For the "average caller", however, I think using .003 and proph combinations".
[/quote]

Proph combinations ? Newbie here

jwhunter

Gobblenut can we have a phone conversation about this is like to talk to someone about it

Pm me please

GobbleNut

Quote from: jwhunter on February 18, 2015, 09:21:10 PM
Gobblenut can we have a phone conversation about this is like to talk to someone about it

Pm me please

...done.... :icon_thumright: