OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

best for lead?

Started by knightrider, February 08, 2011, 10:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightrider

best lead choke for moss 835 and #6 :fud: :newmascot:

knightrider

been killing turkeys for near 20 years with lead out to 40 yards and never had one complain about the shell not costing enough, im just not going to pay 4 bucks a shot.thanks for the info on the kicks :cross2:

knightrider

john i wasnt rying to come off as as hatefull it kind off seemed that way after i reread my post sorry if you took it that way.i agree a good bunch of folks here trying to help each other out. :you_rock:

Reloader

knightrider, i would try to find a discontinued Star Dot .676 for the 835.  That choke does well with lead in my 835.  Pure Gold, JH, ICBDS all are good chokes as well.  IC will work with you swapping the choke until you find what works.

Lead is a good option for turkey hunting IMO, it gives much better close range patterns than HTL(read more room for error) and in the right rig is capable of 40-50yd ranges.  I have a few rigs that do quite well with lead.  I hunted for years with a 1300 that gave multiple head hits at 50yds on turkey head targets and killed many birds with it.  Even killed 5-6 at 50yds stone dead.  That was before I ventured into HTL and handloading HTL. I could turkey hunt with lead from now on and never be handicapped. Shot a couple nice toms with lead last year and always keep a couple lead shells in my vest.

knightrider

stinkpickle

I'm not gonna be much help, but I used an old Hastings .690 with Win HV #6's for years out of my 835 and never complained about the pattern one bit (recoil was a different story).  With I switched to HTL, I bought a Rhino for it, and it worked just as well when I tested it with lead.  In fact, there weren't too many load/choke combo's that my 835 didn't like.  :)

mossy835

Same here as above for me. My 835 likes #6 shot (lead) and I have a Cabelas .760 that does well with lead and I have a Carlson's .690 the loves HM13  any kind along with dead coyote loads and handles lead loads too. The two were purchased because I prefer extended choke tubes (convenience of changing in the field). The factory chokes are great for lead and steel and if you have them grab some shells and go out and pattern each choke to see what you get. That's half of the fun anyway right?

devin4484

.670 to .680 kicks gt.  They are designed for copperplated lead shot.  Michael Waddel uses one in his 1187 too if that helps lol

SR1

I use a .690 Jellyhead in my 835 with the Win.HV #6's or 5's. Great patterns and never had a turkey complain cause it kills them stone dead when I do my part.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Reloader on February 09, 2011, 11:58:53 AM
knightrider, i would try to find a discontinued Star Dot .676 for the 835.  That choke does well with lead in my 835.  Pure Gold, JH, ICBDS all are good chokes as well.  IC will work with you swapping the choke until you find what works.

Lead is a good option for turkey hunting IMO, it gives much better close range patterns than HTL(read more room for error) and in the right rig is capable of 40-50yd ranges.  I have a few rigs that do quite well with lead.  I hunted for years with a 1300 that gave multiple head hits at 50yds on turkey head targets and killed many birds with it.  Even killed 5-6 at 50yds stone dead.  That was before I ventured into HTL and handloading HTL. I could turkey hunt with lead from now on and never be handicapped. Shot a couple nice toms with lead last year and always keep a couple lead shells in my vest.

I will have to second that on the .676 Stardot,I have one for my 835 and it is deadly with lead #5's and 6's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Reloader on February 09, 2011, 11:58:53 AM

Well I will 3rd that.  That is right on the money.  Some of the best lead loads were the Win Supreme 3.5" 2 and 1/4oz load of 6's.  The old Federal 3.5" 2 and 1/4oz #6's were probably about as good. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I'm not an 835 user currently, but I like the .665 Indian Creek BDS in my 870.

ericjames

Quote from: knightrider on February 08, 2011, 11:12:54 PM
been killing turkeys for near 20 years with lead out to 40 yards and never had one complain about the shell not costing enough, im just not going to pay 4 bucks a shot.thanks for the info on the kicks :cross2:
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: