OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which new Shotgun

Started by Bighatlaw, February 17, 2015, 10:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grayfox

All these replies are good ones but only you will know what's best for you.  Go look at, pick up & feel, & if possible shoot as many guns as you possibly can before making your decision.  Other things to consider also are what type of sight you plan on using, red dot, scope or regular sights?  What kind of terrain will you mostly be hunting?  If you hunt mostly thick wooded areas you might want a shorter barrel for maneuvering through the brush.  Lot of good guns out there so choose what's best for your type of hunting.

captin_hook

Browning citori camo. 12 ga

Bighatlaw

Thank you all. 100 flavors mentioned I think. Some great ideas and I appreciate it. Really liking the sound of the Ithaca in 20 ga if I can find one.  Read up on em and didn't see anything negative. May also take a look at the auto 20's mentioned. Had never really put any thought into a 20 ga before.  Guess I've always gone the way of bigger is better. Always had to be a 3.5 for me. Don't even really know why.

worth612000

I was sitting in my Doctors office today forever. Finally looked over and there was a duck hunting magazine, don't remember the name but it was current. But for my story there were all brands of shotguns being advertised in it, I  never noticed there were so many ugly guns out there untill that magazine.

ep427

I don't think you can make too many bad choices. I picked up a Tristar viper on trade and it has been flawless. I have just got my turkey choke and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

870supermagnum

fallsflight

Versa Max or wait for the new V3.

Sent from my 1970s rotary dial phone

Assault

Quote from: fallsflight on February 24, 2015, 02:56:42 PM
Versa Max or wait for the new V3.

Sent from my 1970s rotary dial phone
V3 will be cheaper, but you don't have the capability of running a 3.5..... The versa has been out since 2010, what issues they did have are sorted out.... This year will be the first run of the V3..... Id say go versa for now.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkey buster

For the cost minded solution and having some left over cash for future bills or unexpected expenses a 26 inch barrel 870 in either 12 or 20 gauge with the right choke can double as a good all around gun for all shooting/hunting.

rempumpman

Don't we all enjoy going to the Gun Shop and actually having money to buy one? I sure do; if I was searching for a new Feather Duster, I would buy the new Browning "Hump Back" A-5! you talking about .....sweeeeeet but definitely pricey! I have had my hands on this gun and can't tell you how wonderful that this Browning feels!

If this seems out of reach, then any 870 Remington in any ga. any configuration, will get the job done! but in reality, the list is on going and one can spend all day looking at the great choices available.
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

Ihuntoldschool

dejake

Franchi Affinity.  One of the best values for the money.

gleezer

Quote from: Mike Honcho on February 18, 2015, 09:34:52 AM
I own an Ithaca 37 Turkeyslayer, love it. 835 and 935 , love them.

Don't overlook the Stoeger 3500 semi auto...around $ 600, action similar to a Benelli Super Black Eagle.   Mine is 24" barrel, Realtree APG, red dot on it.  For the money a very nice gun, shoots 2 3/4" ( 1 1/8 oz and up) , 3" and 3 1/2" and goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

I'm hoping to find out how the Stoeger 3500 works this spring turkey season. Bought one last fall and used it all duck season. Not one failure. I've got a Pure Gold choke tube for it for turkeys. If you have long walks the 3500 is on the heavier side of the new semi autos on the market. Something to keep in mind.

Britton40

Quote from: Bighatlaw on February 17, 2015, 10:01:23 PM
So tax money is in and I'm gonna buy a new Gobble Blaster. I'm torn in what to get and looking for opinions and advice. Let's pretend price doesn't matter, but don't be ridiculous. Last year I picked up a new SX3 for turkey hunting, but as happens, got in a bind on bills and sold it to a coworker.   Only bought cause I got a deal on it and it wasn't my favorite. So what do you recommend?  I'm all ears and thanks.

SBE 1 custom.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/4108387/greenville-georgia-shotguns-for-sale--super-black-eagle-1-custom-turkey-gun

Phire Phite

Quote from: gleezer on March 07, 2015, 12:08:48 PM
Quote from: Mike Honcho on February 18, 2015, 09:34:52 AM
I own an Ithaca 37 Turkeyslayer, love it. 835 and 935 , love them.

Don't overlook the Stoeger 3500 semi auto...around $ 600, action similar to a Benelli Super Black Eagle.   Mine is 24" barrel, Realtree APG, red dot on it.  For the money a very nice gun, shoots 2 3/4" ( 1 1/8 oz and up) , 3" and 3 1/2" and goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

I'm hoping to find out how the Stoeger 3500 works this spring turkey season. Bought one last fall and used it all duck season. Not one failure. I've got a Pure Gold choke tube for it for turkeys. If you have long walks the 3500 is on the heavier side of the new semi autos on the market. Something to keep in mind.

The 3500 is a little heavy.  When I first went looking for one I grabbed the 20 ga version by mistake.  Nice and light, and if it functions like its big brother...