Main Menu

favorite mouth call?

Started by WNCTracker, February 17, 2015, 08:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Dooley

jlewis4390

Of what I have tried the best for me is hook hunters by primos

jbrown

Houndtooth---Dixie Combo. Any of Lyles calls are gobbler killers! Also like his Vixen call.

Rick Simmons

Can't believe no one mentioned Preston Pittman black diamond. My go to call.

jblackburn

Quote from: johnplesh on March 10, 2015, 09:02:59 PM
Thanks!  I got the gooserbat bacon and hooks executioner II. I've never used a three reed call and am surprised at the difference. Does anyone have a general tip when going from double to triple reed?  Initially it seems like I need to keep it farther forward in the tongue and blow harder. Is that about right?  Fortunately I've got a month to practice and a 30 minute commute to work :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play all calls in the same place in my mouth no matter the reed count, three reeds will take more air, but at least for the Bacon, you should not have to push a lot of air.  Try moving your tongue around to find the "sweet spot" on the Bacon, it should be fairly centered (left/right) then move your tongue back and forth.  Also, try varying tongue pressure.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

WNCTracker

Thanks. The bacon is working out now. For the record I like it better than the hooks executioner II so far

porcupine

That's cool as i have some bacon coming  :turkey2:
Ive tryd a few and thus far the will Primos Signature Series Green tape w black reed has been the most easy to conquer For a lot of guys i hunt with :funnyturkey:

Full strut

I have tried a couple hooks calls and the one I like the best is th devastator. Really easy to use with a lot of range.

moonman

Not much of a mouth call guy,but my favorite is the True Double by Primos.
Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

greentag

woodhaven black wasp,followed by a cane creek MR.Death...these 2 have been the easiest most consistant ones i have found for me and they sound good to boot.

WNCTracker

Thanks for the tips. Hooks executioner II was the moneymaker.

deerbasshunter3

I am finding the Legacy Lone Hen to be my most all around easiest call to use/make turkey sounds. I can make some nice sounding yelps and cuts with the LH, but my go to call for purrs and clucks so far is the Dead End Game Calls Batwing 2.

Marc

Quote from: johnplesh on March 10, 2015, 09:02:59 PM
Thanks!  I got the gooserbat bacon and hooks executioner II. I've never used a three reed call and am surprised at the difference. Does anyone have a general tip when going from double to triple reed?  Initially it seems like I need to keep it farther forward in the tongue and blow harder. Is that about right?  Fortunately I've got a month to practice and a 30 minute commute to work :-)

I think to some degree it will depend on your pallet...  I have a fairly steep pallet.  For the basic sounds, the call sits fairly far forward in my mouth.  The more reeds, the more air pressure needed to make them work.  Also, the tighter the latex the more air pressure needed.

I do have to move the call back to get good purrs, and can purr and cut with the call further back, but I cannot yelp.  I have practiced and practiced with the call forward, and I simply cannot make it purr...  Move it to the back of my pallet, and purring becomes far easier (I am trilling my tongue for the purr).

Two days ago this would not have concerned me, as I generally do not go from a purr to a yelp...  However, yesterday I had a hen come in that went from putting, to cutting, to purring, to yelping within about a second... :P

My favorites this year are the Red Wasp from Woodhaven, the OSS from Gooserbat, and the 3rd Strike from Gooserbat...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

dougell

I like a few of Denny Gulvas's calls but my all time favorite is a Woodhaven red wasp.

WNCTracker

Hooks strikes again!